Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Mistress of Mud
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On a grand level, I want to thank all of those who made the summit a great event.

On a personal level, Thumper and myself need to hand out some HUGE Thank you's.

Thanks to Victor, for fixing my headlight in Moab on Hell's Revenge at night, even though he was dealing with a blown diff.

When I returned to Moab after the summit, I had my own bad luck. I blew my rear diff while running Top of the World. It was a solo run with the bf as we over slept that day and missed the run with Trailbus and Sonic. While nursing the FJ back down (which took forever), we ran into the guys from the Kokopelli (sp) run. Uphill, Shadow, and (I think) Jeshua, helped to drop the drive shaft so we could get back to town. A big thank you goes to all you guys!

Once I hit pavement, it was a 15 mile drive to the hotel. This is when the FJ finally got her name....Thumper. At 10 mph, we sounded like a jackhammer in those canyons. It took us well over an hour to go those 15 miles. Thanks to Matt, Terry, and Bo for the help on the phone and online. My only option was back to Montrose, CO.

I decided at this point that Thumper was in bad enough shape, she would need to be trailored to Montrose. I knew Sonic had a trailor with him. Sorry about the button, Dan. Then I realized Sol (Bechtold) had a trailor and was staying at our hotel. We went searching for Sol. Here, I am humbled by the generosity of strangers (technically). Sol and Jim (from Inchworm) decided to tear apart my rear diff and fix it so I could drive it home. They went into Moab and got the needed stuff and returned to the hotel. They pulled my truck up on Sol's trailor and with the help of Joel, my bf, they went to work. They continued to work on Thumper for hours (in the dark) until she was finished. Around 11pm, thank you's were said and we all called it a night.

I know Sol, Jim and Troy had plans for their last night in Moab, and it did not include fixing my truck. I simply cannot thank you guys enough. You took time out of your vacation to help me, another FJ owner, get home. You asked nothing in return and never hesitated to help. You are good people. With a kick ass truck, I might add. :)

So, a big, big THANK YOU to all who helped! I'm half way home, another 1100 miles to go, in my newly modified front wheel drive FJ/Honda Hybrid. :lol:

I have pictures of the surgery in the Red Cliffs parking lot and will post them soon. Oklahoma internet leave something to be desired.

T H A N K Y O U ! ! !

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Wow! I heard you had broken the diff the night I was rolling in to my hometown. It's always great to be surrounded by good people that are willing to help out. The people I have met from this forum are some of the most helpful people I have ever met. I am glad to hear you are going to be able to make it home soon. You will back up and running soon and hitting the trails. A few more miles and you will be in the land of sweet tea again. :)

·
Premium Member
3,460 Posts
Just found some.......in Oklahoma! wooooooooooohoooooooooooo
I made some Monday night for dinner and thought about you and Joel the entire time. :lol:

Glad to hear that there were some fellow forum members in the area to help you out. It just goes to show that some of the people on this forum are like a second family, willing to help wherever and whenever help is needed. :)

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Tina,

Sorry to hear about your blown diff. As you've said, the FJ community is indeed awesome!

BTW, what is the build date of your diff? Frogeye has a thread on blown diffs. Please post your date.

cheers,

dale

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Dang Tina, you've got all the luck.

So sorry to hear of the situation and also glad to hear that you had some heavy heads to help you out. I don't think you could have had a better set of experienced hands to handle that issue.

I hope your trip home is as uneventful as mine was...

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Tina glad you made it back down off the Top of The World Trail, it is a very rough trail, many have had blown diff's trying to go up there, I'm glad we could help. In such a remote location, it's always best to have at least two rigs when traveling in a remote rough spot like that. Here are a few pic's Larry (uphill) took. Glad you had some more help when you made it back in town. :)

Sorry, you missed making to the top for such a breath taking view....it had to be one of the best spots I have ever seen in my life, again glad you made it back down safe. :)

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I'm really hoping that your diff is covered after taking it apart.. it was one of the biggest decisions we had to consider when our's broke. To fix it there and have the warranty voided or trailer it... wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Glad things are going well on the drive home. Jim and I enjoyed meeting you and I'm glad we were able to help you get back on the road to home in your new front wheel drive Honda Civic. :lol: Please post up so we know you made it back home.

·
Mistress of Mud
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm really hoping that your diff is covered after taking it apart.. it was one of the biggest decisions we had to consider when our's broke. To fix it there and have the warranty voided or trailer it... wish you the best of luck.
It'll be covered. I took care of that before tearing it down.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Tina, I knew we should have stopped on the way up. Someone said we should drag you out, but no one followed through. You know how these things go.

I am glad you got it going again.

Rich blew up a front CV going up Top of the World. I had no Idea there were even obstacles on that trail.:lol: The lightning storm hit while we were going down, and rained tons. Then later on we had to do some BMX-ing near the burned out Dewey Bridge. I left BigBadFJ behind, and he managed to blow his P.S. rack or something while playing with the rest of the group. Just like a bunch of kids I tell you.:jester:

Glad all is well, and I look forward to sharing more than a red light with you on the next run:rofl:

·
Mistress of Mud
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, we ran TOTW last year and had no problems. It's not a difficult trail at all, imo. Some ledges near the end but nothing hard. Just one of those freak things I guess.

·
Mistress of Mud
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We got home after midnight last night. The mileage remained pretty much the same. Glad I didn't buy a Honda. :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
Glad you got it back into Moab ok. Very nice of Jim and Sol to fix it for you, there good people. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
The run to the Top-of-the-World isn't bad if you take it slow and steady. It's a graveyard for FJ rear differentials and CV's because once you start going up the ledges and nothing breaks, you get a bit bolder. And heck, that's fun, so you amp it up a bit more and -- CRACK!

It doesn't look like a difficult trail. It's not 1/2 of what the Rose Garden Hill is, but it's hard on FJ Cruisers.:ninja:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts