Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to spray my steering wheel after adding the audio controls so I got the idea that I might match the console while I was at it. I used Duplicolor silver charcoal (EDSFM236) for the wheel and console. I would say the silver charcoal is not quite a pefect match to Ti paint but it might just be the rough texture of the console, its pretty darn close. I might give it a couple days to see if I warm up to painted console. While I was spraying I blacked out the trim pieces on each side of the radio using duplicolor Universal flat black (DS104) for trim. The trim around the radio I am already liking !:thinkerg:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I have a '07 Ti, I do like the steering wheel. It will be on the to-do list. Looks great nice job.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok here is a Daylight update.
After getting the fj out of the garage and into some daylight. It looked ok in the garage last night but today the silver on the console looks too bright. It's good on the steering wheel but to bright on the console. I will have to darken it up. I am guessing when using the silver duplicolor because I don't see a direct paint code match on their website or on the shelve at the parts store. I will try the next shade darker tonight on the console and that should put me where I need to be. I would definately want to dial it in before I considered doing anything like the door panel inserts or the area near the switches. I am hoping this is just not a texture issue. I welcome suggestions.

The black trim pieces near the radio are awesome. I am considering the interior door levers with the duplicolor flat black. I need to investigate disassembly.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
looks factory from the pictures. great job!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Holy crap Batman you did it!
That looks awesome...great job! The silver dash panel w/the matching console is a great combo.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I try the two shades darker of the duplicolor silver to a close perfect match but still not good enough. So I email duplicolor. No response in 24h. I call. I talk to charlie who happens to own a 07 titanium FJ. I am thinking this sounds like a phone sex line, Only he sould have been the 5'7" 105lb blonde blue eyed virgin. Charlie informs me Duplicolor doesn't make that toyota color and he is unaware of duplicolor having the exact match and couldn't make a recommendation to something in the Duplicolor line close. I thanked him for the info but didn't refer him to the forum. I will try another brand sometime this weekend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts