Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
You are Mr. SeatTime. Thanks for the excellent thread. :thinkerg: Take Rebecca along next time so we can get more excellent pics. :cheers:

G

·
Mike, great read, stories, pics, etc... Thanks again for the killer deal on the coupon for the metal tech bumper. Check some pics of it out in my photo gallery. Installed it completely on an install / meet n greet day with some fellow FJ Cruiser folks here in Nor-Cal. I also enjoyed the stories from your trip, take care and keep at least three tires on the ground some of the times,

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Great build and a good story on the road trip with 1leglance!

That is some crazy flex you have on that (naked) rear end. The bumper-less rear is growing on me...... After reading this and viewing the pictures, I don't even feel the need to ask you how your bumper was removed (ripped off).

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Made some additions to the thread on sway bar and stuff... my apologies TrAiLbUs1, chigoe, and a Jeep stranger for mocking their suspension! :lol:

Holy crap I can't believe I'm about to embark on on of those really long multi-quote replies... here it goes! *deep breath*

Thats some serious flex in the rear.Looks like you win for the most wheeled rig out there.
Thanks! I'm just trying to follow in the footsteps of JEEBUS. :)

For some reason I always thought you had a build up thread. Anyway, it's a good read. Thanks! Looking forward to more.
Thank you, Dawg... I have been far too lazy up to this point to embark on such a thread.

you need "EPIC FJ" for your license plate.
I'd prefer a less pretentious, ironic route... like ILUVMALL or something. :lol:

You are Mr. SeatTime. Thanks for the excellent thread. :thinkerg: Take Rebecca along next time so we can get more excellent pics. :cheers:
This aint a thread for you, boy! You don't know the first thing about seat time... :rofl:

Mike, great read, stories, pics, etc... Thanks again for the killer deal on the coupon for the metal tech bumper. Check some pics of it out in my photo gallery. Installed it completely on an install / meet n greet day with some fellow FJ Cruiser folks here in Nor-Cal. I also enjoyed the stories from your trip, take care and keep at least three tires on the ground some of the times,
My pleasure on the bumper... sorry it took me 75 weeks to mail out to you. The MetalTech bumper is awesome, but my tube guy just had too much sentimental value to part with. ;)

Great build and a good story on the road trip with 1leglance!

That is some crazy flex you have on that (naked) rear end. The bumper-less rear is growing on me...... After reading this and viewing the pictures, I don't even feel the need to ask you how your bumper was removed (ripped off).
Thanks! Glad you like my naked rear.. uhhh... hrmm... :worried:

:rofl:

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Slowly adding more stuff... this is going to take forever, I'm way to lazy for this. :lol:

BTW- I haven't seen you in ages! I'm coming to Tuscon in Nov sometime to do CHIVA! plus more weekend trip.
Yo Jonnie! Chiva is awesome... if I'm not out of town when you're here, I'm down for sure. :D

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
I'm seriously considering doing a variant of Mike's rear bumper mod.... I'm also ripping off some of the design elements of the front bumper... I'll pass on the cracked frame mod though...

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Very nice bro! Half those pictures are Bustys and mine:lol: ....and my exhaust shop made an appearance:cheers: Mikes rig stock accomplished everything, then when he got lifted well..the rest is history. Excellent write up very nice documentation!

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
BTW, Nice write-up! It's one of the best that I've read on the forum! I can can completely identify with your build philosophy... :cheers:

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I'm seriously considering doing a variant of Mike's rear bumper mod.... I'm also ripping off some of the design elements of the front bumper... I'll pass on the cracked frame mod though...
BTW, Nice write-up! It's one of the best that I've read on the forum! I can can completely identify with your build philosophy... :cheers:
Thanks, Cro! Other than the mounting issues I noted, I would change nothing about my front bumper... I am curious what you're planning for the rear. Have you discovered something else that can be torn of as well? :lol:

Very nice bro! Half those pictures are Bustys and mine:lol: ....and my exhaust shop made an appearance:cheers: Mikes rig stock accomplished everything, then when he got lifted well..the rest is history. Excellent write up very nice documentation!
Yes, indeed! bUsTy is the photo queen empress biatch!! :rofl:

Here's a link to some more stuff of hers... ;)

I'm jealous of your build up thread.. so much more, skilled.

You have a Contents.. I need to copy.
My organization inspiration was Mir's thread... but he's got all those freaky thumbnail things, I'm not anywhere near being in that league. :lol:

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
no one's laughing.

the most ghetto looking rigs are usually the most adept and piloted by crazy bastards who can wheel better than the little boys and girls in their 40k weekend toys.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
no one's laughing.

the most ghetto looking rigs are usually the most adept and piloted by crazy bastards who can wheel better than the little boys and girls in their 40k weekend toys.
My only real goal is to join you in purchasing whores and drink... :cheers:

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
September 3, 2007 - Rice Peak and surroundings

I'm not a big fan of wiring and had put off the completion of my CB install. Since there's really no reason you can't wheel with the center console removed, wires spilling everywhere, and a radio sitting on the passenger seat, I head out to find some new trails!

My goal was to run the Oracle Control Road, which had been described to me as very easy and extremely scenic. Rather, I wandered around in the mountains north of Tucson and got into some really cool stuff including the summit of Rice Peak.

Afterward, as most n00bs do, I started a thread here talking about how crazy it was and making ridiculous false claims of 40-degree climbs... silly n00b. :lol:

September 8, 2007 - Chimney Rock Loop

I returned to explore the Redington area once more and this time stumbled upon one of the best trails in the area. Looking back, it's sort of incredible I should happen to have found this (there's a sequence of turns at intersections I took by chance). Not knowing that the trail was a loop was a bit unnerving as well... I wheeled most of the day before reaching any 'end' and had decided that once I got near a half tank of gas I better turn around! Luckily I'd completed the loop before then and was back on the main road.

Officially not giving a damn about the paint at this point... :lol:

September 9, 2007 - CB Install

OK - enough driving around with huge pieces of the interior missing, time to finish the CB install! :lol:

I wanted the radio out of the way, so I cut a huge nasty slot in the center console with a hot bread knife (no joke)!!! :D

Its not as ridiculous a plan as it sounds... the way the pieces of the console overlap, there is no visible sign of the crappiness of the cut and the finished product is very clean.

September 16, 2007 - AZFJ Chiva Falls Run

At last, the long awaited Chiva Falls run with the AZFJ crew! Read all about that run here...

It was epic good fun and I met a few people who still remain great wheeling buddies today. Being out with a group and having a functioning CB was a lot more fun than I had expected, too. There was constant goofy chatter on the radio with the occasional useful information thrown in there for good measure.

Here's a pic of JEEBUS conquering that spot like it's nothing... (gratuitous JEEBUS pic)

***CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE THE NARRATIVE***

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Subscribed... First thread I've subscribed to ever...
Awesome! I have no idea how long this is going to take me... still tons of mods I have to write up (don't have the truck to take pics), mods I had but no longer have, and the narrative...

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
September 23, 2007 - Charleau Gap (kinda)

After failing to go for a hike in the morning, I decided to set out and tackle The Gap solo-style! The first portions of the trail on the Catalina side had some nice challenges and I was having a great time... the best part was talking with other folks who were impressed with the FJ's stock capability!

It was all going very well until I came around a bend and saw THIS... time to turn around. :(

September 27, 2007 - Oracle Control Road

My dad was in town so I took him up the back way to Mt. Lemon... good thing I picked something so easy, he thought it was hardcore! :lol:

September 29, 2007 - Table Mesa with homedad

This was another one of those really influential early days for me... homedad took me out for some one on one 4x4 instruction and general trouble making. What a guy! :cheers:

Oops....

Donuts!

Was able to plow the front over this... the back, nope.

Coffee time! :D

September 30, 2007 - Front Bumper Install and Box Canyon Run

One of my first major mods was the front tube bumper, largely because of the awesome opportunity to pick up a prototype model.

This was also an excellent time for the obligatory painting of the tow hooks...

Time to hit the trails with it! Read all about that run here...

***CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE THE NARRATIVE***

21 - 40 of 157 Posts