Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 157 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Mike,

You are a sick puppy that is why you are the official Bajarack extreme test Engineer. You take equipment to its limits and beyond.
I meted at the SEMA show a couple of engineers from Japan that helped design the FJ and they know who you are. You are becoming the authority in the FJ community for aftermarket products and I take your recommendations seriously, after the FJ Summit after we spoke I made to changes to the rack due to you unorthodox methods of beating stuff until it breaks. I have spoke to several manufacturers about you and they want to have on their products TIBAAL89 approved (Trade Mark).
Any ways I will send you shortly the FJ ladder and Light bar for extreme testing; after you are done with them I will put them out for sale.

By the way we won filth place at SEMA with the EXP (Roof Top Tent) Rack.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
^^^^^You lucky bastid! Nice thread by the way, interesting!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Mike,

You are a sick puppy that is why you are the official Bajarack extreme test Engineer. You take equipment to its limits and beyond.
I meted at the SEMA show a couple of engineers from Japan that helped design the FJ and they know who you are. You are becoming the authority in the FJ community for aftermarket products and I take your recommendations seriously, after the FJ Summit after we spoke I made to changes to the rack due to you unorthodox methods of beating stuff until it breaks. I have spoke to several manufacturers about you and they want to have on their products TIBAAL89 approved (Trade Mark).
Any ways I will send you shortly the FJ ladder and Light bar for extreme testing; after you are done with them I will put them out for sale.

That is awesome to hear!

Mike you are a LEGEND!!!

and I must post this up from our Crown King run:

I cannot think of a better person to test things for the FJ or any other off road manufacturer...Mike uses it, abuses it, and beats the hell out of it!! :bigthumb:

(*ahem* I expect kickbacks from this promotion! :cheers:)

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Thanks, Sergio! Congrats on the recognition at SEMA... I did notice alot of people gravitating towards that when I was walking around out there. Seems like expedition stuff is the new show bling! :D

^^^^^You lucky bastid! Nice thread by the way, interesting!
Thanks! Here's an Alf dance for ya... :lol:

:alfdance:

Mike you are a LEGEND!!!
Hey, Miss... It's true. But ya know that kinda of thing is going to happen when you're 7' tall, ripped, and can shoot lasers out your eyes. :worried:

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Great thread and awesome pics!

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
December 9, 2007 - Oracle Control Road

Some folks from Phoenix wanted to come down to Tucson for something that a) the wives would enjoy and b) would feature snow. OCR is just the thing!

I see snow up there...

Yup, there it is! :D

December 14, 2007 - Table Mesa and Gillette Ruins Camping

Tons of beer and tons of cold weather clothes... all set to go! :lol:

Fun in the cold, cold desert with homedad...

First time I'd ever traveled in a river by car...

YouTube - FJ Cruiser River Driving...

December 15, 2007 - Copper Creek Trek, Day I

Fun at Sibley Mansion with Relic Hunter and uphill. Click here to read uphill's very entertaining account of the trip... :rofl:

December 16, 2007 - Copper Creek Trek, Day II

Headed out...

December 18, 2007 - Crown King

A fun run as always... click here for more.

This is what an FJ with no lift looks like next to a Lexus on 39's...

***CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE THE NARRATIVE***

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 · (Edited)
December 19, 2007 - Box Canyon, Coke Ovens, Battle Axe

A fun day of trails for my buddy in town from Chicago... more pics on AZFJ.org

December 23, 2007 - Alamo Springs and Chimney Rock Loop

Me and crazycarwes (who I'd never really wheeled with before) hit up Alamo Springs... it was clear after the first few rocks that he and I would get along very well. :lol: More pics on AZFJ.org

Bumper mod!!

Took part in some random trail cleanup activities... :D

YouTube - AZFJ: Impromtu Trail Improvements...

January 4-6, 2008 - El Camino del Diablo

A great time in the remote desert of SE Arizona... read the full story on AZFJ.org

January 9, 2008 - New Tires! 275/70/17 GY MT/R

The stock tires served me extremely well.... but it was time to move on. ;)

January 10, 2008 - Exploring Santa Rita Mountains, Gun Sight Pass

Testing out the new tires and exploring a new area... read the story on AZFJ.org

***CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE THE NARRATIVE***

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
More great pics! Two things... I AM coming out to the SW next summer or bust! Secondly, after seeing close-ups of your bare bumper (again), If there was any way to keep the side body panels covered, I'd seriously consider removing my rear bumper cover and just slapping a piece of diamond tread steel over it. I've had the bumper cover off once when I installed my hitch. When I'm done with my front bumper and rock rails, I'll have to play around with this idea...

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
More great pics! Two things... I AM coming out to the SW next summer or bust! Secondly, after seeing close-ups of your bare bumper (again), If there was any way to keep the side body panels covered, I'd seriously consider removing my rear bumper cover and just slapping a piece of diamond tread steel over it. I've had the bumper cover off once when I installed my hitch. When I'm done with my front bumper and rock rails, I'll have to play around with this idea...
Excellent! Your coming out here would be an auspicious occasion... we could easily get a clan going of AZFJ and FJCC folks and do some of the 'must do' trails and other things.

Cleaning up the rear corners is challenging... and there are benefits to doing so - those air vent things on mine have been completely destroyed by the elements and the rear of my truck is basically open there. If there's a nice, aesthetic solution to having the bare frame but covered up sides I think more people would do it.

But I just can't swallow the concept behind ALL aftermarket rear bumpers... there is just no purpose in protecting a gigantic frame rail.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
As long as a rear bumper doesn't extend back more than touching the rear face of the crossmember, and as long as it doesn't hang DOWN below the rear crossmember, I can think of a few reasons to have a rear bumper:

1) hold the backup sensors
2) wrap around the exposed corners to protect the sheet metal
3) add enough structural width to offer high lift jack points not under the frame
4) flatten the small piece of deck outside the rear door so you can set down your beer without opening the door.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
1) hold the backup sensors
That's true... though compared to the hugeness/cost of a bumper, somebody could easily rig them up in the frame if they really wanted them.

2) wrap around the exposed corners to protect the sheet metal
Has anyone ever in fact smashed the underside corner of an FJ? I managed to make light contact once in a weird 'slip off a rock' mishap... but it's definitely not something I'm worried about.

3) add enough structural width to offer high lift jack points not under the frame
That's a good point... there isn't anywhere I could go off behind the rear wheels on the sides...

4) flatten the small piece of deck outside the rear door so you can set down your beer without opening the door.
That may be true... but with the frame exposed you automatically gain half a dozen bottle openers. :D

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
OH man this just reminded me of all the awesome memories we have made together also with others and more to come..so appreciative of what this TRUCK has done for us:cheers: WOW memories!! THIS IS BY FAR the baddest ass thread:rocker: Love ya Mike!

·
Premium Member
7,062 Posts
September 23, 2007 - Charleau Gap (kinda)

After failing to go for a hike in the morning, I decided to set out and tackle The Gap solo-style! The first portions of the trail on the Catalina side had some nice challenges and I was having a great time... the best part was talking with other folks who were impressed with the FJ's stock capability!

It was all going very well until I came around a bend and saw THIS... time to turn around. :(

I think I was on this section of trail about 1993!! Wow, if it isn't this part it sure looks like it. I wish I had a scanner.

M

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
YOu should see it now YIKES!!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,062 Posts
It took us an hour to get one Land Rover up that section. It was horrible.

Hey, Jake! I'll be in PHX tomorrow. Gillette Ruins Friday night!

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Yea, if you've been to The Gap for sure you've seen that... I think that obstacle is the 'historical' route. There's a bypass over the ridge, but it looks like the bypass is considerably newer than the obstacle.

The bottom of it has kind of dug out in the last year... used to be a walk in the park (a year ago, I have no idea long term) by video I've seen on YouTube and the like, now it's a decent wheelstand depending how you hit it.

It always helps to have a dancing spotter... :worried:

·
Banned
3,591 Posts
Damn...I just love photos like this Mike.....You(spotter) pointing with both hands, doing the turn now dance, and the driver, and his wheels still pointed the opposite direction:jester::jester:

·
Premium Member
7,062 Posts
Exactly what I was thinking! :lol: Both hands/arms point south, wheels headed for Vegas!
M

61 - 80 of 157 Posts