Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
81 - 100 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Haha, yea... you have to make a very sudden passenger turn at the top that as a driver you feel like you should be making earlier. He'd inched passenger so I had to give him the big NOOOOOO arms. :lol:

Fun spot... dangerous if it gets messed up!

·
Premium Member
7,062 Posts
Does anyone know the FR trail number? 736?

M

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 · (Edited)
Does anyone know the FR trail number? 736?

M
I really can't say... the National Forest has it on their site as a 'scenic drive', which is hilarious... Their map doesn't make a lot of sense, though.

Coronado National Forest - Senic Drives - Charouleau Gap

I remember seeing a version of that map that TrAiLbUs1 had kinda annotated... maybe he'll chime in with it.

Nice build.

This looks like a fun little obstacle.
That is an awesome obstacle, conquered there by the JEEBUS (TrAiLbuS1). It's called 'Three Feathers' which probably used to makes sense, but now there are about 7 completely different lines... there's just this huge random rock face out there, lots of fun! :D

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
OH man this just reminded me of all the awesome memories we have made together also with others and more to come..so appreciative of what this TRUCK has done for us:cheers: WOW memories!! THIS IS BY FAR the baddest ass thread:rocker: Love ya Mike!
Yea man... it sounds cheesy, but I know exactly what you mean. I've met more great people and made more awesome memories screwin around in the FJ than doing just about anything else in my life. And just think about all the crazy chit we haven't done yet! :lol:

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
January 12, 2008 - Sutherland

This was a big step up for me in terms of wheeling difficulty. I still did not have any lift or skids and was starting to think maybe this was getting to the end of the line in terms of what could be done relatively stock... Read about the run on AZFJ.org

The chute!

Here's a video of me in the chute... pretty poor driving, looking back. :eek:

Video of Tibaal chute - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Paint was pretty well broken in at this point... :lol:

January 26, 2008 - Table Mesa 'Training Day' with homedad

homedad lead a group of AZFJ'ers on a trail run marketed as an ultra-friendly experience for newbies wanting to try out some bigger stuff! Read about it on AZFJ.org

I spent a bunch of time attacking this mud wall... which was hilarious because it exceeded my clearance in the front quite a bit. It was more of a plowing maneuver...

February 2, 2008 - Montana Mountain

This run remains one of the most bizarre and eventful days yet... we wheeled with a 2WD Tundra on 37's, had to break up ice on the shelf, got locked onto the trail by the mining people, my tire exploded for no reason, picked up a random Jeep at a gas station only to have him nearly tumble off a cliff, etc etc :lol: Read the whole story on AZFJ.org

Too many weird stories from this run to list... some pics:

Triumph!

***CLICK TO CONTINUE THE NARRATIVE***

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 · (Edited)
February 10, 2008 - Upper Woodpecker

Another moral victory for the stock-ish FJ! :D Read all about it on AZFJ.org

This was the day that solidified my dislike of low hanging skid plates commonly available for the FJ (BudBuilt, Rasta, to a lesser extent MAF, etc). I wheeled Upper Woodpecker with crazycarwes who had a nearly identical FJ - same tires, same sliders, no lift. Biggest difference was I had no skids and he had the BudBuilts.

The performance deficit was enormous... I sailed over spots that his truck got hung up on hard. And he's a good driver!

First obstacle...

Wedge...

This line was not my intention... :lol:

Watch out for that delicate thing!

February 16-18, 2008 - Cherry Creek Trip

Another fantastically interesting and bizarre trip with the good folks from AZFJ! The last water crossing before our camping spot for the night was a 30-yard wide raging torrent that could not be crossed by horse. :rofl:

Read about it on AZFJ.org

YouTube - AZFJ.ORG President's day camping trip

We thought this crossing was bad... the next would turn us around. :(

Tried to wheel a bog... EPIC FAIL.

Tight spot...

Me and homedad posing...

Widow Maker!

YouTube - AZFJ: Widow Maker - Sycamore Creek, AZ

***CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE THE NARRATIVE***

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 · (Edited)
March 2, 2008 - Willow Springs (kinda)

Lead by Sean K in his buggy and with visitors Jeshua and MuddyGrrl, we set out on Willow Springs... and after a full day of HARD wheeling we'd... covered about 10% of the trail and turned around. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

But it was fun! Read about it here...

No pics of me from that day since I was the least exciting rig to attend... but here are some random ones for fun:

BellyDoc...

Crazy IFS pickup guy...

Jeshua stuck on something... :lol:

March 9, 2008 - Alamo Springs and Chimney Rock Loop

TrAiLbUs1 and I take microbe on a wild ride that he won't soon forget!

March 29, 2008 - Mod Party at BellyDoc's (Front Spacer Lift Install)

Finally, a lift!!!! Maybe it's only a 2" spacer in the front, but it's something - at last! :D

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
The video of you in the chute ^^^^ really extols the virtue of ATRAC doesn't it? I love this thread! One of my all-time favorites! :cheers:
I am an ATRAC junkie... I believe it is a HUGE factor in what makes the FJ so successful with few or no mods. In that video I had it on, failed, tried the locker, failed, then went back to the ATRAC and got it.

And thanks! :D

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
This thread is EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bigthumb:

Cool stuff Mike!!!
Yea it's eipc... because you're in it a million times! :lol:

Gas is $1.99 here right now... I gotta get my junk back in gear.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
I still love the fact it's in the buildup thread, because now after going thru your wheelin timeline, there's little by little less FJ.

Cool thread man.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
just read the whole thread... its cool to see what let you to where with the rig... Happy wheeling

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
OHH man if I erased our photobucket this thread would be an epic failure:lol: LOVE IT MIKE keep all this coming..man do I need to make a new build thread like this:cheers: see ya tonight for more memories! GREAT JOB brotha.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
I still love the fact it's in the buildup thread, because now after going thru your wheelin timeline, there's little by little less FJ.

Cool thread man.
Thanks abo! It is ridiculous that after all this time we still have never met... :(

just read the whole thread... its cool to see what let you to where with the rig... Happy wheeling
Thanks! More to come... I'll let you know if I need some tuna in a big way. :rofl:

OHH man if I erased our photobucket this thread would be an epic failure:lol: LOVE IT MIKE keep all this coming..man do I need to make a new build thread like this:cheers: see ya tonight for more memories! GREAT JOB brotha.
Yea man... I'm serious about bringing incense. :lol: I can burn some eucalyptus on your dash and make the truck smell like a hippie palace if you want.

Did I link to your photobucket? I thought I'd stolen everything and put it in mine... :rofl:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Some of the best videos of the FJ i've ever seen seen! :)

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 · (Edited)
March 30, 2008 - Willow Springs (more so, but still not really)

After being viciously defeated by Willow Springs earlier in the month, it was time to return... but this time I had a number of advantages I did not before - only 2 rigs out there, the other is a buggy, and I had at least something of a lift and no sway bar. What took all day last time we'd cleared in about 30 minutes... onward!!

After a very full day of wheelign, we'd made it through about 75% of the trail and turned back to avoid dark. More pics on AZFJ.org

(not trying to imply that I went through where the buggy is with this pic :lol: )

No damage!

Oops...

This sort of thing happened a number of times... :lol:

March 31, 2008 - New Stock Skids

fjlarry from AZFJ was getting rid of his stock skids and was nice enough to let me have them! It's not an upgrade, but a fresh set was nice to have.

April 4-6, 2008 - SE Arizona Ghost Town Hunt

With 1leglance and a small group from Expedition Portal, we head off to the southeast in search of ghost towns and ruins. Lance and I were committed to doing the Continental Divide Expedition in the summer and used this as a shake-down to better understand our capacity for spontaneous navigation and to see how much dirt we can cover in a day at a semi-grueling pace. Read about it AZFJ.org

I illegally stuck my arm into Mexico down here... ;)

81 - 100 of 157 Posts