Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my FJ for a couple months now and I knew there some things that needed to be replaced to be in full functioning order.
The last of my problems has been this ticking coming from underneath the car when I am driving a most speeds. I can’t hear it unless I’m driving next to something that rebounds the sound.
I’ve replaced the CV axels and the wheel bearing assemblies.
Now this this could be just a regular car problem or something that is specific to FJ’s not quite sure if any of you guys could shed some light. (I’m Not an actual mechanic but savy enough for most fixes)
Little background- my car has been in the south all its life so minimal rust if any at all.
07 AT 141,000 miles.
6 inch fabtech lift and 35’s

Anything would help!

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,759 Posts
“Special” little noises like that drive me nuts...but good you’re paying attention! Is the rate of ticking consistent or speeds up as you do?

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
The motor in the FJ has an audible tick to it - just how it is. Pop the hood while the FJ is running and have a listen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s is quite the special ticking.
Thanks for the insight guys.
I was almost certain it was a bearing until I replaced them and it persisted.
It does not keep up with my speed, it is pretty consistent after 15mph.
Definitely not coming from the engine bay, I’ll have to go through all of the tires for nails and such but I’ve done some extensive looking around and under the car.
I tried to get a video for y’all to listen so but between the oversized tires and exhaust it was a lost cause.

·
Registered
949 Posts
My money says a bad idler pulley. They are notorious for going out and making all kinds of strange sounds, ticking included.

Edit: didnt see the "not coming from the engine bay" comment. Not sure what it could be. Best advice is to get under and look for loose bolts, ect.

·
Admin
6,587 Posts
Is it a tinny sound?

Could be an exhaust heat shield.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts