Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TIE ROD ISSUE

I suspect that for many who are running near-stock rigs this won't be an issue but those of us who are exceeding Toyota's design parameters need to at least pay attention.

I ran the Kokopelli Trail with TCAO, JESHUA, FROGEYE, etc. last week. At one point I hit a dip a bit "hard". Thereafter I had some "squirly" steering, as if I'd removed the front sway bar. I stopped and looked at the front end, checked for obvious problems and didn't see any. DRAGON and SHADOW-WARRIOR walked up and I ran it past them. We had dipped into some gooey mud a half mile previously and we counseled that it might have something to do with mud in the wheel.

The steering was still "wrong" and all the way home, there was wandering, erratic steering on the highway. It still felt loose. Not linkage loose, just loose. Somehow wrong.

I'll make a longer story short. The tie rods weren't bent but the inner ends of the tie rods were shot. Therefore the erratic wandering track on the highway.

The explanation is straight forward. I have wazoo Icon suspension, Light Racing jounce shocks, and run the truck with heavier wheels and tires. The tie rods are the weak link in the system. They're stock. Modifying this part and that part without completely redesigning the vehicle cause these sorts of maintenance issues.

I suggest you check the tie rods every so often. Mine survived 32K miles and then gave up the ghost.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I don't have that crappy handling problem yet, but my steering wheel is almost loose/shakey when i have wheels at/and almost at full lock.

Did you have that problem too??

I knew these big ass tires were gonna take their toll fast..

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
So larry you going to buy the upgraded AP rods when they come out:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
sorry I had to!

Glad your safe!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Do ya have a pic of what exactly was shot? or can you point it out on this pic... I have a strange clank up front during articulation...and its either that or the lower link bushing.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do ya have a pic of what exactly was shot? or can you point it out on this pic... I have a strange clank up front during articulation...and its either that or the lower link bushing.

The portion that joins at the spindle is fine. When I was looking for trouble, that's one place I looked. No problem.

I may photochop your pictures, but its the joint where the inner end of the tie rod meets the piston that actuates the rack & pinion. It's sloppy/worn, shot.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is this where it bent?

Not "bent", worn & sloppy.

MY OPINION ONLY:

I think I'll stick with the Genuine Toyota Parts.

Thanks for the suggestion (you must be new to the forum). I'm concerned about after-market parts failing miserably and causing me more grief.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
:rofl::rofl: well hook up a pic of the wear when you get a chance larry thank you for posting this! Come on buy some AP parts:rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
How ironic, mine went at 32K too... only mine went with the crazy OME heavies + spacer + trim packer combo... new OEM TREs are in now and I've ditched the spacers and trim packers, but I may look at HD down the line.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Keep in mind the more you wheel your vehicle and the harder that wheeling is.....the more likely you'll have metal fatigue in your steering parts.

The bad part is: everything looks completely normal.....and then BANG!.....you lose control on the highway and hit a busload of nuns. Not pretty. There is very little you can do about this to be honest....short of making your rig a trailer queen. Only thing you can do is ALWAYS give everything a good once or twice over while airing up and heading back onto pavement.

I know a few people who've lost steering parts on the drive home or out on the trail and it was totally unexpected. It cost one guy his life. Be careful.

Thanks for bringing this up Larry. :)

Sean

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
How ironic, mine went at 32K too... only mine went with the crazy OME heavies + spacer + trim packer combo... new OEM TREs are in now and I've ditched the spacers and trim packers, but I may look at HD down the line.
I'm surprised you didn't loose CV axles, OME heavies with a spacer, that's just waaay too much for the range of movement unless you had a 1" diff drop..

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm surprised you didn't loose CV axles, OME heavies with a spacer, that's just waaay too much for the range of movement unless you had a 1" diff drop..
I've deliberately stayed away from spacers, but I admit that I'm running some heavy wheels/tires. Additionally, the rig has been put through it's paces. It's not a daily driver/pavement princess. I thought 32K was too quick for tie rods to bite it, but it is what it is. I will post photos of the parts once the new ones arrive at the dealer and I can make the swap.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Aw man, TBus beat me to the All Pro joke... :lol:

Yea, Larry... by the looks of your rig you are Mr. anti-aftermarket! ;)

But in all seriousness, that blows. You've got awesome suspension and the jounce shocks, not sure what else can be done to prevent things like this for the mega-baja stuff you guys like to run.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Mr. QUALITY aftermarket...:bigthumb:
Haha, well (setting aside the hidden meaning of that comment) I can't argue with that! :)

The real thing you've got to worry about is that really scary guy behind your rig in that pic... :bandit:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Luckily never had CV issues other than boots getting torn by broken sway bar links. I also run an ARB bull bar, XD9000, Budbuilts, etc, so a lot of weight pushed the nose down. I did however, blow an OME strut with the excessive droop. Ahhh, lessons learned... and like I said, back to just the 886 and N140s now.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
lol all this talk made me go back into the archives to dig up this gem and it will only be here a limited time lol

1 - 20 of 96 Posts