Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
UPDATE 9/17/2017

I hard coat anodized (Type III, Class 1) the light pocket bezels and hawse fairlead. It makes the aluminum pieces corrosion resistant and much more wear resistant. I didn't know dye-less hard coat will change the color. It turned out to be a darker shade of grey but it actually looks better than the original silver color. Tuned down the bling a little and looks like a better contrast.
LRM_EXPORT_20170917_111542.jpg

20170917_135632_HDR.jpg

20170915_075531.jpg

Original Post Starts Here

About 2.5 years ago, I was on my last semester in college. I was taking a course in Finite Element Analysis. The course had a final project for an extensive simulation report on an object of our own choice. While in search of a front bumper, I started the journey to design and analyze my own bumper. Below was my preliminary design from my final report.
Capture.JPG

The semester passed, I graduated and got an A in that class. But my preliminary design still didn’t really turn me on. So this project kept being dragged along as I started working as a full time mechanical engineer. As I continue to learn more about engineering through my job, I made several overhauls on the design. Every time is a little bit closer, but still not quite there. 1 year ago, I posted a thread here to get inputs from all my FJ friends. The suggestions I got really moved this project along.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/570393-poll-first-bumper-build-project-needs-input.html
Capture2.JPG

Fast forward to this summer, one day I decided to ditch the traditional round fog light hole design and went with a more angular style. This finally got me nodding and smiling in front of the computer screen. Then, I made my first wood/foam board prototype.
FB_IMG_1497998656610.jpg
LRM_EXPORT_20170620_073534.jpg

After some design for manufacturing tweaks and aesthetics iterations, I placed my order for laser cutting. Ordering quantity of 1 really blew my wallet but I made no compromise. I received my parts on Fri, 8/25. Cleaned them all up and prepared for welding.

Since I’m not an experienced welder, my buddy helped me welded it together. He was so meticulous the whole time and I was really grateful to have him help me. My buddy is super cool so that's why he was welding completely upside down in the picture. (LOL, I couldn't figure out how to rotate the picture so I said let it go.)
20170826_211328_HDR.jpg

One might ask what does my logo on the side mean. It is the Chinese character “匠”, which stands for craftsman. You will find this character on Nissan GTR’s hand build engine. It means “Takumi”, master craftsman, in Japanese. The character on GTR engine is a modern font. For mine, I picked an ancient Chinese font.

Then I need to call myself something in English. “Craftsman” is not going to work for obvious reason. I definitely wouldn’t call myself a Takumi. I believe in the value of humbleness and continuous learning and growth. Hence, I call myself as a Tinkerer :)
20170916_184943_HDR.jpg

Finished! I drove it home in bare steel, and I couldn’t stop smiling.
20170827_105908_HDR.jpg

For coating, I chose Monstaliner with Silver Aluminum Chassis Saver as primer, both by Magnet Paint. From my research, this combination provides the ultimate rust proofing and abrasion resistance in DIY market. For the bezel around the light pocket, I could have just laser cut a flat plate. But as a perfectionist nerd, I really want a chamfer around the edge. So I spent the big bucks and had them CNC machined out of 6061-T6 aluminum.
20170829_195701_HDR.jpg

Final results. The moment it went on my FJ, I knew all the hard work and lots of money spent were well worth it.
20170830_134632_HDR.jpg

20170830_135023_HDR.jpg

Separating the shell from the structure is seen on multiple other designs. I like this approach because I can put maximum robustness on the structure (close to the frame), and achieve lighter weight on the shell (far from the frame). More importantly, it allows very easy winch maintenance down the road.

I played with my Hi-Lift jack on my bumper. The extra droop from the long travel IFS made Hi-Lift concerningly unstable...
20170830_140418_HDR.jpg

Here is a close-up to all the features and the texture of Monstaliner.
20170830_140428_HDR.jpg

Right after I installed my bumper. I took off to Appalachian Toyota Roundup with 5 other FJs from FJ Northeasters. It was such an amazing event. I will close off with a picture from the event with my boys and gals from FJ Northeasters.
20170903_141835_HDR.jpg

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
29,077 Posts
Looks good.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I think it looks great! Although many of your pictures were showing an error.

The only thing that I would do without (personally) would be the cutouts on the "wings". If I were to buy your bumper I would definitely prefer just an opening for the light. That being said, it looks awesome! Well done, sir. :clap:

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
It's a beauty! Some of the pictures are not displaying though. You've designed one of the nicest looking FJ bumpers that I've seen. Nice work!

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,335 Posts
Great project, congrats on a well deserved A grade! Great write up too and the end result is fantastic. Individual and unique which is quite an achievement considering all the bumpers out there. I don't have your skills so paid someone else to do my custom front bumper.

So is your next project a rear bumper to compliment this one?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think it looks great! Although many of your pictures were showing an error.

The only thing that I would do without (personally) would be the cutouts on the "wings". If I were to buy your bumper I would definitely prefer just an opening for the light. That being said, it looks awesome! Well done, sir. :clap:
Thanks! Not sure what was wrong with the pics. I uploaded some pictures as attachment. Hope you can see them now.

Do you mean you prefer the original round fog light holes? I agree that is a more low key and classic look.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's a beauty! Some of the pictures are not displaying though. You've designed one of the nicest looking FJ bumpers that I've seen. Nice work!

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! Can you show me which pictures were not showing? They are all showing on my end.

I uploaded some of the pics as attachments, hope that will be more stable.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice

What's next?
Great project, congrats on a well deserved A grade! Great write up too and the end result is fantastic. Individual and unique which is quite an achievement considering all the bumpers out there. I don't have your skills so paid someone else to do my custom front bumper.

So is your next project a rear bumper to compliment this one?
Rear bumper is the next project. Thinking of designing some new mechanism for the tire/gear carrier :)

·
Registered
566 Posts
Thanks! Not sure what was wrong with the pics. I uploaded some pictures as attachment. Hope you can see them now.

Do you mean you prefer the original round fog light holes? I agree that is a more low key and classic look.
Yeah, kinda...Although I like how your design mimics silver bumper wings on the stock bumper. I guess I'd have to see a side-by-side. I would seriously consider buying one of these in either configuration. Can you post the FEA results?

I'm especially impressed by the way you mounted the bumper "skin" to the support structure underneath. This would lend itself well to "modular" features/bumpers.

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
Haha thanks! This was a 1 off fabrication so it was more expensive than buying one new from the market. But if eventually there is enough interests and I have enough bandwidth, the economy of scale for laser cutting and CNC bending is quite significant.
Turned out amazing! But, wow that's kinda expensive. I know there were definately some expensive machined parts on there but I would not have guessed that much! My brother and I built his for $300 all together. You aught to post some build pics in this thread if you like!

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/off-topic-discussion/662458-everything-metalworking-then-some.html#post8602978

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Yeah, kinda...Although I like how your design mimics silver bumper wings on the stock bumper. I guess I'd have to see a side-by-side. I would seriously consider buying one of these in either configuration. Can you post the FEA results?

I'm especially impressed by the way you mounted the bumper "skin" to the support structure underneath. This would lend itself well to "modular" features/bumpers.
Thanks. Modular is the idea. The FEA results are for my first design, which is quite different from my final version. Also it implies some design flaws on certain designs on the market so I don't really want to post that. But as mentioned in the post, the biggest take away was to reduce base plate warping.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts