Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Tint percentage :)

6K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  mad_mechanix 
#1 ·
heyy all

I finally got my tint permit wich means I can go as dark as I like

on my black diamond fj all the way around

including windshield so I was thinkin

i want it black that no one sees inside even on a sunny day and still be drivable

#4 ·
#6 ·
One of my friends had a 5% tint on his charger and you could not see anything inside. I think anything around the 5-10% range would get you what you are looking for. I don' remember what he had on the windshield though.

#9 ·
5% was really, really dark but he was able to get around. Granted that was in Durango, CO so there isn't much traffic at night. I don't think I would go lower than 10% but mhslacrosse is right. It does look amazing.

#11 ·
I read somewhere that while tints may be ok in certain states, you need a *permit* (read: doctor's note) if you wanted a really low % tint without getting hassled by the cops. I think CA is around 35% tint, and with the convenience package, you get an OEM tint around that range. Good luck with a limo tint all the way around, just please not on the front windshield! (I dont think you can legally tint the front, but definitely not sure by any means).

#14 ·
I don't know what state the poster is from, but too dark tint may still be a violation in neighboring states.

Basically, in California, windows to the sides of the driver must pass 70% of the light and not alter the color. Since most factory glass is already around 70-75% you can't really legally add any more tint. Sure, you can get away with light tint depending on local law enforcement. And, even if you have a doctor's note for additional tint it must be removable; taken off at night or whenever the person who has the note is not using it.

Besides that, going too dark is not safe. It's really sad (read embarrassing) to hear people involved in accidents who have dark tint say "I didn't see them". :boohoo:

#13 ·
If you need a Maybe you shouldn't be behind the wheel. Maybe instead of getting dark tint just get some Stevie Wonder Glasses!:stickpoke:
:blowingup: the doctor's note is for people with sensitive skin or eyes....nothing really to do with how well you can see...

Here is my old tint setup. 35% on the windshield and 8% all the way around. yes, 8%. I believe it is a 3M tint that sees OUT like 15-20% and sees in ever so slightly more than 5%. Highly recommend. I got hassled A LOT. Go for it if you have a doctors note!

Flaming for the RBP picture isn't allowed. One time favor....

#15 ·
I have 25-30% and its dark. My x-wife is a Doc and she wrote me a prescription for it because I have had skin cancer and both my kids have red hair. Never heard of a permit?? I have gotten a ticket for it even with the note and the judge through it out. I keep the ticket for the next time in my glove box.

#20 ·
Just because you can, does not mean you should. If you do have an accident, the degree of tint could be a mitigating factor in determining fault. Plus, if you drive into a state with tint laws you can expect to get pulled over. When you do get pulled over, expect a different response from LEOs as they can't see into the vehicle. Just saying.

#24 ·
When you decide to get your Tint done, its important to remember that both Driver & Passenger windows, if memory serves me right, s/b around 50%, this is key Why? It is important that any law enforcement agency can get an Outline of both passenger and driver allowing them to be able to identify you. Forget about the windshield, its not going to happen, in the windshield, you are only allowed max 4" from the top. To be absolute sure, check your local laws in your area, go to city hall or your local police department. On the FJ, let's say 50% on both doors, 30% pn the suicide doors & 25% on all rear windows. If you want, mimic the factory grade tint, not sure what they are but it looks close to what I had before. Remember you need to be able to be seen and for you to be able to see outside too for safety. :cheers:

#28 ·
My new FJ came with light tint from the dealer, I like it.

I read your Build thread. I had to LOL after reading the beginning, "..I'm 21 years old.." and the last line, "The rest is history..". I thought "6-10 months?" :rofl:

Have you added much more since 2008? Was the Dynamat application a success? Eliminated the roof rack noise?

#29 · (Edited)
Only way to get a permit is because of a medical condition. He can do what he pleases as well as what helps him the most. However, just because you have a permit doesn't mean every single cop wont harass you. You might be in the right but they wont know that and they will just say their doing their jobs and you should be fine taking it into court to get it signed off on. I

Ive been told that factory toyota tint is 20%. So you might as well tint the rest at 20 percent just to save on the cost of about half the car being done already. AND keep in mind it will all appear darker once light is limited on all fronts.

I also got my bmw windows tinted (illegally) to 20% which was suggested by the installer because he felt it was just the right tint to not be harassed while getting the job done. When I roll around the inner city where I know cops are I roll my windows down, although its not helping my no front license plate (whole different story :( ).

My social viewpoint being from California ( insert rants ) opinion on all of the legality for reasons of police safety is nonsense. Cops better assume the worst during EVERY traffic stops anyways and if you are pulled over at night on the freeway here in San Diego, expect a 40 minute wait for backup, hands on guns but holstered. and several spot lights on your vehicle. I dont hate cops and have alot of respect for the jobs they do, but this isn't Nazi Germany, or modern day Germany for that matter. Enough with the ever ending regulations and fines. (Im German and have been to Germany :) ) They are nuts with their laws these days.

But backing up at night like a few have suggested will definitely have you rolling the windows down.

#30 ·
I have 35% on my FJ's doors, I would liked to have gone darker but its what is legal so I didnt push it. I already had factory tint on SS doors and rear door, but added tint to the rear and its at about 18% now. Bad weather or FOg, I have a hard time seeing Clearly backing up or seeing out my Mirrors.
If your going to drive it alot at night I wouldnt go anything darker than 20% on them
I do know Alot of county officers that pull you over in Florida have ways to check the % and if it is not legal, will not write you a ticket, but make you peel it off right there!
Several buddies have said If they cant see in your car, you may get treated as "Armed Suspect". And end up with 2 cruisers behind you and some one yellin at you through a loud speaker.:lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.