Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,

What do you think would be the best technique for Automatic Transmission Long Life in the City driving conditions especially in the Jam traffic?

Yes, I am driving at “4” or even “3” Shift position in the city hateful traffic, sometimes on “D”.

1. But the question is: should I put it in to “N” (neutral) position during 2-3 or more minutes waiting on the street red light or traffic freeze - giving to Transmission components, fluid itself the short Rest and decreasing AT high temperature, save a little bit of fuel as well. Or it would be better to leave it on previous “D” or “4” position?

2. May I move the shift lever to the “N” and leave on it, then back to “D” during truck movement to downhill ( please forget about the engine brake and driving safety for a moment, talking tech details only ), or I must to perform the full stop for it? If self movement on “N” (even short, mechanically) not strictly prohibited?

What would be better for This Toyota Automatic Transmission technical design ?

May be Transmission Guru or Toyota Engineers can help with the right answers, many Thanks in advance!

For some one it seems that simple or stupid questions, please show patience – at all my previous Cars with AT (BMW325,530,320,730,740, VWGolfV) I have got different advices about that from service man and car Engineers depending on AT construction, manufacturer and year of issue. Some AT has the shift lever blockage, some not…

Would be great for many FJ People get the correct advice about the best AT shifting tactics . In order to go with fault and trouble free AT for its Long Life.

Any opinions are very welcome.
:)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Re: Tips for AT Long Life

I've heard nothing but poor long term results of consistent shifting with an AT.

·
Registered
48 Posts

1. Put in "D" and leave it.

2. Completely flush (not just drain and refill) the auto tranny at 60,000 mile intervals.
100% Ditto. + make sure to use a corrected type 'Spec" & high quality tranny oils.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

I always drop the shifter to N when stopped at lights.Instead on leaving in D all the time.The tranny is able to down shift when its moving 4,3,2 its made for that.No problems with trany at 23,000 miles.

·
Registered
504 Posts

A big Enemy to Auto trannies is HEAT. Once the tranny fluid is overheated, the life span of the fluid DRASTICALLY reduces.

A Tranny cooler has been in my list of mods, as I can imagine replacing a tranny down the line is going to be very expensive and I want to keep this one as long as possible. I had a B&M Tranny cooler from summit on my old landcruiser, and it worked great.

Below is from Rodney of rodney wholesale transmissions in australia who is pretty much the goto guy for the A440F landcruiser tranny.

"
We also don't discount a good oil cooler as we always will recommend a suitable cooler in any vehicle that runs a transmission. The transmission life span is mostly measured in heat, the hotter the transmission runs the shorter the life expectancy while the closer you can get your transmission to run at room temperature then your transmission is expected to last what is considered in repairers terms as a life time 350,000-500,000Km depending on usage and other unforseen factors."

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts

- Leave it in Drive (unless it's confused, and is shifting way to much, like at 35 mph on flat ground)
- Add a tranny cooler (any size will help)
- And change out what's in the pan (short, easy drain) every 25K miles.

Also, if I'm really working the transmission (I have 6 miles of 6% grade at 35 mph to get to my house), and 200 ft of 12% grade at the very end; I let the engine run for a couple of minutes before turning it off to keep the tranny fluid circulating thru the radiator rather than turning it off immediately after putting all that heat into the trans.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
4,329 Posts

I always drop the shifter to N when stopped at lights.Instead on leaving in D all the time.The tranny is able to down shift when its moving 4,3,2 its made for that.No problems with trany at 23,000 miles.
Oscarr, this is the same technique I use. I don't like letting the FJ downshift harshly from 2 to 1 when coming to a slow stop, so sometimes I will put it into N before coming to a complete stop at a light. In traffic however, I leave it in D.

·
Registered
702 Posts

With 295's for tires, I drive in 4th in town and in freeway traffic. There is just way too much shifting in the 35-50 mph range with bigger tires to leave it in D.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts

Victor

You will generate a lot more heat by shifting D-N-D-N as you are applying and releasing the clutches. Most electronically controlled automatic transmissions are quite good at minimising slippage, which generates heat

Older non-lockup and non-overdrive / non-electronic automatic transmissions are prone to heating up in traffic. If they are equipped with a high stall torque converter, the problem is much worse. Frequent fluid changes were necessary to maximise transmission life

The only time I shift into P is if it's obvious I will be stationary for awhile. The best example I can think of is a rail crossing, with a long freight train. My foot tends to fall asleep if I have to keep the brake pedal pushed more than 5 mins

Note: make sure there are cars stopped behind you before shifting into P. Otherwise, you're sitting there without brake lights on, and somebody could rear-end you

·
Registered
2,152 Posts

I don't like letting the FJ downshift harshly from 2 to 1 when coming to a slow stop, so sometimes I will put it into N before coming to a complete stop at a light. In traffic however, I leave it in D.
My FJ *never* does that. Usually I'm not even aware of when it upshifts/downshifts. According to the shop manual, there could be a spec of dirt in the valvebody hanging up the shift solenoid or fluid path just enough to cause that.

The shop manual recommends removing and cleaning the valvebody

·
Registered
1,446 Posts

My FJ *never* does that. Usually I'm not even aware of when it upshifts/downshifts. According to the shop manual, there could be a spec of dirt in the valvebody hanging up the shift solenoid or fluid path just enough to cause that.

The shop manual recommends removing and cleaning the valvebody
Then you have one of the few. This has been discussed at length, and it's a know issue that people with the AT deal with.

I don't understand how you cannot be aware of your vehicle shifting during normal driving.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts

I don't understand how you cannot be aware of your vehicle shifting during normal driving.
Mine really is that smooth. During normal relaxed easy driving, the shifting is incredibly smooth. It currently has almost 14,000 km on it, when it had 12,000 km on it I drained the pan, then took it off. There was a slight hint of fuzz on the magnets in the pan, otherwise no residue. Refilled with WS

From what you've said, I guess I'm lucky. I wouldn't put up with a modern automatic that was jerky or abrupt

·
Registered
2,783 Posts

Ya-know, I don't ever remember feeling my FJ downshift when slowing to a stop. It might be, but I honestly don't recall it doing it. Really, you can barely feel it upshifting during normal driving. Even whehn getting on it a little, it's almost like a continuous torque. I've never driven a smoother automatic.. Ron

Then you have one of the few. This has been discussed at length, and it's a know issue that people with the AT deal with.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts

Toyota has a sealed transmission system, per factory service sheet you dont need to change tranny fluid for 100k. This thing isnt a Ford flushing and changing at @30 isnt necessary.

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts

1- It's not sealed.
2- Take a look at your tranny fluid at 100K miles. (I have seen this on other vehicles like Volvo's (100K spec) and Aisen-Warner transmissions and it's not pretty. It has the look and consistency of chocolate syrup. Don't expect the tranny to last another 100K using that drain interval.

My 2 cents.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
67 Posts

anyone know about how much the cost at toyota for the complete flush and refill.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts