Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys going to be towing a flatbed trailer with a car...about 4200 lbs total through some snow. Trailer has no brakes. Just looking for any tips/advice. I can drive in snow fine, but never towed. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
No brakes on the trailer - I wouldn't do it.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
X2 Tough enough with brakes on the trailer but without brakes I would not even consider the weight you're talking about. Danger level is very high and not just for yourself. Consider the other folks that are sharing the road with you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I'm startin to think that as well. Didn't know there were no trailer brakes until I picked it up (just borrowed it)...looks like the car will be driven instead!

·
Registered
297 Posts
No brakes on the trailer - I wouldn't do it.
Ditto.

I tow a Jeep on a trailer using a very heavy Ford truck with a tow package. The trailer has brakes on both axles. Been towing it for years. Even with brakes I won't tow in the snow. Only did it once and it was hairy. I can't imagine towing without brakes on snow. The trailer will push you. On snow, you run a very high risk of jack knifing you and the trailer. On top of the risk of no traction in snow, you'll be pretty near the max limit of the light FJ. I HIGHLY recommend sourcing a trailer with brakes, install a temporary trailer brake line, get a controller and set the brake controller to handle about most if not all of the trailers weight. Then go slow, stay in front of the trailer and pray. Without brakes or if the gain in the control is backed off to a significant degree (meaning the trailer brakes are braking less than the trailer weights), then you are in danger of the tow vehicle being pushed by the trailer, almost certainly leading to a jack knife.

If you think this is inconvenient or expensive, consider the costs of wrecking everything.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Congrats on your choice to drive it and having the balls to ask here. You made a great choice on both counts. Hats off to you for making the harder choice:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts