Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2011, Toyota, FJ Cruiser Trail Team
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently went off roading and found a cool mud hole to drive through along the way. This was my first time (going through mud since I got the FJ 1 month ago) and now that I am back home there is a ton of mud under the wheel well, suspension, under the skit plates..... basically everywhere. Totally worth it though!

I would appreciate tips and suggestions on the best and safest way to remove all the mud. I have an electric 1700 psi water sprayer washer. Does leaving the mud on too long damage the paint? How soon do you usually wash off mud in your FJ?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
By mud do you mean man paint?:rofl:

I've left mud on my truck for over a week and never had a problem but I do usually spray off the under carriage.

·
Premium Member
11,124 Posts
G'day,
Wash it as soon as possible, take your time, muds goes every where, don't use high pressure close to any paint, from a distance is ok - 2-3 feet type thing.....
make sure the inside rims are cleaned, and as above a sprinkler over night helps.
Then check it again, suspension, brakes, wheels, wheel archs, engine, radiator, and the complete under floor.
Once you have cleaned it, expect more mud to drip out next time it rains or you wash it.... you never get it all.

It has been baptised, and will never be pristine concourse ... every again....

Then go out and do it again..... :rofl:

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Mud Won't damage the paint unless you rub the surface or the mud is full of salt or other corrosive chemical (unlikely)
Always try and get the mud off as soon as you can especially under the hood around the engine and exhaust, the heat does bake the mud on to porous surfaces like the aluminum often leaving a stain behind. Like has been said a sprinkler moved around under the vehicle for a few hours works good. Keeping your paint waxed a couple of times a year helps mud removal as well.... Then all you have you to is shovel your drive way.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, the ideas and tips shared and advice is just what I needed to hear. I appreciate the sprinkler idea, as well as the tip to clean the mud off as soon as possible, especially around the engine and exhaust. As cool and rugged as the mud makes the FJ look, I want to keep it looking good.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Then all you have you to is shovel your drive way.
Haha this is perfect, I've had so much dirt on my driveway before I just wait unit lit dries and remove it then! Gotta love playing in the dirty stuff >:D

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
I usually spend about 1-2 hours moving a sprinkler to different locations to hit all angles...overnight seems excessive and you wouldn't be able to move it.

After that I take the hose to the known mud pockets....fender flares, inside my rear bumper, front of the rear wheel wells behind the plastic trim at the bottom. Make sure to hose out your radiator well, too. Then I head to the pressure wash and clean the rest off, spending plenty of time on my knees spraying underneath.

You eventually get a lot better at it. The first few times you do it, the mud will seem to keep seeping out of nowhere even 3-4 washes or rains later. I'm at a point now where it takes me about half the time and after 2 washes I see little or no mud.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Lots of water. When you think it's clean, start checking the unseen nooks and holes. Sprinkler is a great way to loosen the build ups that are hard to see. Be careful with the pressure washer though.

·
Registered
792 Posts
That's just a little mud pothole!
Wheel wells are where you'll spend a lot of time if you want it all flushed out. Good advise on radiator...and cleaning the entire engine bay is important.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The one thing I learned the hard way to wash properly is the radiator. Take the plastic cover on top, wash both radiators, whash from the engine bay out and dont forget the corners, from the top, from the bottom, from the front, from everywhere you can, and when the water comes out clean, wash it again, because there is still mud in there somewhere. LOL

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
The automatic car wash owners hate me after I go muddding almost as much as the guy in line after me then my Yuppie neighbors are mad because I stained the Curbs brown from the muddy water running down the street.. I can't win

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The one thing I learned the hard way to wash properly is the radiator. Take the plastic cover on top, wash both radiators, whash from the engine bay out and dont forget the corners, from the top, from the bottom, from the front, from everywhere you can, and when the water comes out clean, wash it again, because there is still mud in there somewhere. LOL

Is it okay to take a hose and spray it directly on the engine to wash and clean it? Do I let it dry itself or should I start the engine to use the heat to try it off? Are there areas I should stay away from (ie. battery, electrical) getting wet? Where are these two radiators you mention?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I'm careful with the electrical stuff, otherwise I spray water on everything.

Regarding the radiator, you can search on this forum, there may be some pics. Or just take the plastic cover on top of the radiator/fan shroud, you will see what I mean, there are two layers, one in front of the other.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
BTW, even if I don't have time to wash the truck (I never do) I wash the radiator. Off roading in AL involves lovely red clay mud, that stuff will clog a radiator like concrete. Right now my truck is covered with it from Sunday, and it may stay that way until it rains, but I washed the radiator in the dark in 40° weather.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
The only thing I would reiterate is making sure you do a really through job of making sure your rotors and brakes are clean. I destroyed a set by not doing a good job of flushing them out. :mecry:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
G'day,
Once you have cleaned it, expect more mud to drip out next time it rains or you wash it.... you never get it all.
:blueblob:
After 4 washes under the carriage, I'm still finding mud in spots that I thought were clean. It's a royal pain! It was fun driving in the mud, but cleaning it and it still not being clean is giving me second thoughts to go through mud any time soon.

The sprinkler idea worked well, as well as my pressure washer. Now to go back and take a brush and sponge and clean more spots.

Reactions: bazross

·
Registered
8 Posts
About two years ago, I got my 2011 Iceberg White covered in mud til it looks like it was sandstorm color. I left it on for a few days as a badge of honor (not sure if it was a good idea). I used pressure washer, even take it to car wash once or twice but I still have mud here and there today.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts