Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I just installed my tow hitch, and want to pull the boat. Any tips or tricks for backing up to connect the hitch when I have no backup camera or visibility ? I know this isn't going to be easy like my Tacoma!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,835 Posts
I had a small Wells Cargo trailer a few years ago that I towed with my pickup and 4Runner. I would back up slow until I just bumped the hitch so I knew I was close enough. To get centered I put a decal on the front that I could see. It was centered with the hitch. I'm not real great with trailers though.

·
Registered
616 Posts
They make some little flags that one on the trailer and the hitch but IMO they're useless.

Again IMO It just takes experience. Have some one help you a few times and then once you've done it a few times by yourself you'll have it down. Just don't try to hit it exactly. Backup short of your mark, get out and see how much further you need to go and then try to back up that amount. That'll save you hitting the hitch. ;-)

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Put the ball in the hole
easier said than done like golf! Hand grenades are another story, they just need to be in the vicinity

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Done!As easy as tacoma. Just backed her up tried to keep her center, and was dead on.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I have 2 trailers I use often, a small 4X8 trailer & a 17 foot boat on a boat trailer. The small one, if not loaded is easy, just got to get it somewhere close or pull the trailer to the truck. When I'm taking the boat I line the center of the boat windshield up in the center of the back window & use the back up sensor "beep-beep" until it's just one long tone (close) & that's usually close enough. The more you do it the better you get.

·
Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams #181/2500<>< <*((^(((><
146 Posts
I have a small boat. Opening the back window helps. I also took a 1/2 inch PVC pipe with a flag at the top and created a mounting bracket at the front of the trailer so I can back up and get close without bumping the trailer. I also added another bracket at the back middle of the trailer, I move the flag to the back of the trailer when the boat is off, this helps me to back up the trailer in the boat ramp.

·
Registered
199 Posts
i've been doing it so long i had my FJ a couple years before i figured out i could see the ball and trailer tongue in the rear camera.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Visual clues. Once your hooked up check all your mirrors and note how everything is situated and use it as a reference. Take your trailer out to an empty parking lot (should be easy to find one now a days) set up and practice. Straight on, off center, at an agle etc. Repetition. If all else fails.....get out and look.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts