Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new fj owner any tips and hints , that can be shared will be highly appreciated

·
Admin
7,105 Posts
Tips and hints regarding the FJ Cruiser?

That's pretty much this whole forum.

Welcome aboard!
🍻

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
There are a few great threads here, like "Best under $100 mod" and so on,
here's one:

underside rust prevention:

fuel tank addition:

LED dome lamps greatly improve interior illumination at low cost:

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
Welcome from Oregon :)

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Read, and read a lot! Explore this website, and most definitely check out the member build thread. This site offers so much information to help you decide what you want to do with your FJ. Consider all of the opinions and experiences of others...and then make your own! Learn about your FJ's capabilities before going mod crazy (if possible). You've entered a world where there is no return! haha!

·
Registered
271 Posts
You're most likely considering many modifications to your FJ. My tip is formulate a complete and detailed plan of all the mods you're considering. Pen and paper, spreadsheet, what ever. Research all parts required and compatibility of parts with each other. You don't have to perform all mods at once but have a complete overall plan allowing you to purchase the correct parts the first go-around.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
"any tips and hints , that can be shared will be highly appreciated" - best tip of all I learned here: an FJ, stock, out of the box, is capable of so very much that they really don't need to be modded to be enjoyed immensely. As so many others have already said on this thread: wheel it with friends and build up your plan for what to modify based on need.

For instance, a great big aftermarket bumper can seem like a great idea, but it turns out you can replace the stock bumper a few times before you get to where a burly aftermarket one would actually save any money and its extra weight will require suspension changes to support it.

Jacking up to fit big tires looks awesome, but even a 2" tire diameter increase only adds 1" of ground clearance, and anything more than that requires replacing a lot of suspension parts (to keep geometry) and cutting of the front body mounts to fit.

Many, many people have posted how they modded their suspension, and then a few years later, do it all again because of the faults they found with it. And, a lot of aftermarket suspension parts require annual or semi-annual maintenance/rebuilds.

So, unless you want to spend many thousands of dollars on mods, some of which won't turn out as expected, and will require more upkeep, drive it as much as possible, first, and work your way up to what you want to do.

Norm

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
The absolute first thing you need to do is put a set of small convex mirrors on your side view mirrors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
"The absolute first thing you need to do is put a set of small convex mirrors on your side view mirrors."

That was the very first thing I did too!

The JDM glass with heaters was an amazing upgrade (getting the heater function does require running your own power supply, I tapped into the back window heater circuit). The R1000 radius and large glass size almost completely eliminated the blind spot.

:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
As a new fj owner any tips and hints , that can be shared will be highly appreciated
I want to add here. When I got my FJ, the first thing I did was drive down to the Autozone and pick up round stick on blindspot mirrors. Cost me like 10-15 bucks, and took 5 minutes to install. I put mine on the top outside corner. I use my mirrors for backing in to spaces, changing lanes. They are extremely helpful and the blindspot mirrors also offer good view of the vehicle front to back ground up. So its great for offroad too.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts