Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
As a new fj owner any tips and hints , that can be shared will be highly appreciated
Totally support everyone who said to use it before you mod it. Add to that - make a conscience determination of what you plan on doing with your FJ. The preferred mods are completely different if you plan to rock crawl vs if you need to get to the ski resort and drive some forest service roads (my life). So when you read about all of these hot mods you need to kind of figure out what the owner intends to do with their rig. Look to alternatives. For instance, as one earlier poster said big honkin’ front bumpers look good but cost and weigh LOTS. If you just want a front snatch spot you could install a simple front hitch with a shackle. Lots of ideas like that.

Read lots of the “do your own maintenance” posts. It is fun and will learn you up about your rig.

Make sure you have good tires, tread based on what use you plan.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
If your going rock crawling take it easy at first learn what the gears can do. And how it handles. If you do mods make sure your insurance is aware because a basic policy will only pay for a stock machine. You will need endorsements to cover the additions.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Rear backup camera is an absolute must since vision in it is terrible. Also the window on the trunk door opens in case you are hauling something long like lumber!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Rear backup camera is an absolute must since vision in it is terrible. Also the window on the trunk door opens in case you are hauling something long like lumber!
Not intended to be an argument, but —- I have been driving my 2007 since, well, 2007 without a backup camera. I have had no problems. I use my mirrors just fine. How long has the world had BU cameras Commonly installed? Is backing an FJ ny more difficult than backing a 1963 Caddy? A 1984 pickup with a shell?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
No camera for me also.Also have that goofy third pedal to screw with while I am backing up. Maybe thats why I have those big ugly bumpers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not intended to be an argument, but —- I have been driving my 2007 since, well, 2007 without a backup camera. I have had no problems. I use my mirrors just fine. How long has the world had BU cameras Commonly installed? Is backing an FJ ny more difficult than backing a 1963 Caddy? A 1984 pickup with a shell?
Its funny that you say this. It’s almost like technology doesn’t help save lives does it? I bet it doesn’t protect against accidents either. I’m not saying rely on it but he asked for useful mods and everyone knows FJs have trash vision from the rear. Just trying to help brother now go enjoy that manual transmission ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Its funny that you say this. It’s almost like technology doesn’t help save lives does it? I bet it doesn’t protect against accidents either. I’m not saying rely on it but he asked for useful mods and everyone knows FJs have trash vision from the rear. Just trying to help brother now go enjoy that manual transmission ;)
No need to be in an argument. I bought and continue to love my FJ precisely because it does NOT have loads of technology. People can add it if they want. I simply don’t want nor need. My response to your post was more about your insistence of just how critical a BU camera is. I disagreed. Big GPS screens are the same to me. My cell phone works just fine. I admit to liking the powered windows. Maybe, though not so much, the powered mirrors. That pretty much sums up technology on my FJ. If you rock crawl I get one set of mods. If not, they make no sense to me. My point simply was that one person’s lack of visibility is no big deal to another person (me). If I bought any gizmo it would likely be a dash camera, and that’s for court, not for the FJ. I switch between kayak racks, SUP racks and a top box for my skis depending on the season. No technology. Just not me.

·
Registered
2013 Trail Teams
27 Posts
I have a 2013 TT with a Backup camera but I have a small boat. Opening the back window helps if no camera. I also took a 1/2 inch PVC pipe with a flag at the top at back window level and created a mounting bracket at the front of the trailer so I can back up and get close without bumping the trailer and then use the camera. I also added another bracket at the back middle of the trailer, I move the flag to the back of the trailer when the boat is off, this helps me to back up the trailer in the boat ramp.

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

·
Registered
35 Posts
Interesting tricks. Not how I learned to back up a trailer but everyone needs to figure out their own deal. It’s nice in these forums to hear a wide variety

·
Registered
2013 Trail Teams
27 Posts
Something that has worked for me for the much debated Blind Spot area...

I have found that speeding up or slowing down also helps eliminate merging into someone who is camping in the blind spot area going the same speed.

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

21 - 33 of 33 Posts