Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wanted to ask if there is anything I can do regarding my spare tire set up. Currently I have the stock back up camera and I have really nice TRD wheels and wanted to remove the spare TRD wheel cover to give a more aggressive look, I’m just not a big fan of the look of the cover. Only problem is that when I take the cover off that big long piece of metal that the tire is sitting on and is holding the back up camera is sticking wayyyy to far out to look nice and flush, is there anyway I can fix this? I just really want to show off my wheel for that aggressive look. Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I really like the look of the TRD one! I think in will have to think about investing in one because the cover and camera mount are hideous.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah, no worries, I’m not a fan of the metal cap myself either. It’s very practical though, as it provides support for the tire as you’re mounting it. And puts the camera out further to give a better view. Just wish it looked nicer, lol. And yeah the “TRD” PureFJ cap looks really nice, just pricey for plastic, lol.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I simply used a Dremel to modify an extra TRD center cap. The retention spring on the center cap keeps it tight.

·
Registered
194 Posts
That looks like the Toyota OEM center cap so it should work perfectly.

·
Registered
65 Posts
@Mamba184 That looks really nice! Quick question though. Are you saying it’s a pressure fit with of the retaining spring around the metal cap that’s over the camera that holds it in place? I was just curious how that’s held up overtime? It looks good though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was kinda wondering the same thing. I figured it would all make sense once I got the cap and I took everything off.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yes - the retaining spring fits perfectly around the metal cap and it fits very tightly with no fear of it accidentally coming loose. It’s held up well without any issues.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Looks awesome!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys, just wanted to ask if there is anything I can do regarding my spare tire set up. Currently I have the stock back up camera and I have really nice TRD wheels and wanted to remove the spare TRD wheel cover to give a more aggressive look, I’m just not a big fan of the look of the cover. Only problem is that when I take the cover off that big long piece of metal that the tire is sitting on and is holding the back up camera is sticking wayyyy to far out to look nice and flush, is there anyway I can fix this? I just really want to show off my wheel for that aggressive look. Thanks
I took a stock TRD hub cap, cut it in half. Velcro the inside of cap. Velcro the outside of camera mount and whoola. This does 2 things-looks great and it increases camera view.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
You could use the disc and put stickers all over it. That's what I did :)

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just did the same a few months ago. I took the entire attachment off and had it repainted and honestly I’m really pleased with the results. I went back and forth on buying different attachments but this is even better imo.

·
Registered
48 Posts

The stock housing looks awesome once you clean it up. I have no use for some cheesy ornamentation on my badass FJ. :D View attachment 1122625

1 - 20 of 23 Posts