Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
confused: I have a Toyota Echo HB and hopefully I will be able to trade it in for a FJ. It is a FWD. Before the winter kicked in, I hope to pruchase two brand new studded winter tire for the front. Unfortunately, the tire dealers told me that I have to buy 4 or they would not sell me at all. Their reason is correct traction and no headache from insurance company. Any info is appreciated

·
Registered
36 Posts
i was looking at studded tires myself for this winter and was told that you really dont want studded anymore you just want to buy a very good set of winter spacific tires

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Question to "Fordsucks"

You mean they have changed the law to no-studded tires. Can I still install only two for the driving wheels instead of all four? I have done this before in the mid 80s and had no traction problem. Before that, I have two radial winter tires installed on the driving wheel and the other with common ply tires. The car had a little tracking problem but was ok. Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
181 Posts
midlifecrisis said:
confused: I have a Toyota Echo HB and hopefully I will be able to trade it in for a FJ. It is a FWD. Before the winter kicked in, I hope to pruchase two brand new studded winter tire for the front. Unfortunately, the tire dealers told me that I have to buy 4 or they would not sell me at all. Their reason is correct traction and no headache from insurance company. Any info is appreciated
I think I have heard something like this before about the differential traction. But I think you should call another good tire store and ask that question to get a second qualified opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Obviously, it's not to the advantage of the dealer to sell is tires in pairs. He'd rather sell you 4 tires at the time if he can convice you. But personnaly I still put only two studded tires on my car. But I put them on the front wheels (direction wheels). I do the same thing on my bicycle in the winter. Studded in the front and normal winter tire in the back. I feel that it's more secure to lose traction than direction. If you lose your traction on icy roads, you stop or you get stuck in the worst of cases. If your front wheels start slipping on a icy road you end up in the ditch...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts