All Terrain vs Mud Terrain in Vegas

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am shopping for tires and came to a split between A/T and M/T's.

I am going out and off the grid 2-4 times a month between shooting following easy trails. This will also be my daily driver.
So far i am seeing sharp rock, dirt, bushes, dunes and know that we get occasional down pours.

I purchased the FJ used with P rated A/T's with some concerns over the terrain here. Not looking to lift and crawl.

What would be the best between A/T and M/T if you were me? I know M/T's look awesome but I am here for function over form.

·
トヨタ Master
7,890 Posts
The best "in between" A/T & M/T are actually R/T tires. Look into them. Nitto Ridge Grappler, Toyo Open Country R/T, Goodyear Duratrac, and others are making tires in this segment more often now. Do some research and if you need more direction, feel free to ask. I sell thousands of tires per year and have 9 of my own vehicles, all with different lifestyles and duties.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have had BFGoodrich km2 and loved them at first but after some wear they got extremely loud and hated the ride.

Now have the Falken Wildpeak AT3w Love these so quiet but still that aggressive look. I believe the new jeep gladiator rubicons come stock with the AT3w.

IMG_20200527_151031.jpg

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,870 Posts
I recently installed 255/85R16 Yokohama G003 MTs. I am very pleasantly surprised. They have been hardly louder than my General Grabber ATs were, road manners are incredible, good in rain, INCREDIBLE offroad, and the 255s are not too heavy to really kill driving day to day. That said, I dont have much of a commute but I have loved them on a few 2 hour highway trips. Sounds like you are not in a snowy area so I'd vote go all out and MT it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Nitto Ridge Grappler's. +++ A hybred cross between MT's an AT's, Smooth and quiet on the road. More bite offroad than AT's and you'll get many more miles out of then than MT's. Check out youtube reviews.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
With the sharp rocks out there, buy the tire with the most plys (sidewall and tread) which typically comes with a higher load rating (load E).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts