Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I've mentioned on a few other threads, I bought a new 2011 FJ over the weekend. Happy with the package/price I got, but can't wait to get the stock Dunlops off and replace them with some all-terrains. I'm going with the stock size, no lift.

I've listed the Dunlops on Craigslist and gotten a few offers (locally around $300, or here on the forum for $450 shipped).

My plan was to sell the Dunlops and order either Nitto Terra Grapplers or General Grabber AT2s online, and pay for local installation.

I also checked in with the Toyota dealership, and asked about trading in the stock tires. They offered to get me BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KOs for around $500 for 4 or $650 for 5 (installed).

So, here's some quick math:

Selling/buying/installing on my own --

Set of 5 Nitto Terra Grapplers from Discount Tire Direct: $675 (includes FJ forum discount)

Local install (assuming $20/tire): $100

- Dunlop Craigslist sale: - $350

Total: $425

--or--

Toyota Dealership Trade --

5 BFG T/A KOs, installed, with Dunlop Trade: $650

(Retail for these tires + install: ~ $1,220)

So what would you do?

I'm committed to staying at the stock size right now, and simply want decent all terrain tires with a good combination of highway and light to moderate duty off road capability. I've owned Grabber AT2s, and liked them. The Nittos seem to be highly regarded around here. The BFGs have an incredibly loyal following, though...

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
862 Posts
Honestly, I put BFG's KM2 MT's on last year & 15,000 miles and lots of off roading ago. And they've held up. Also got mine at Discount Tire for around $1220 for all 5 plus warranty. By far the best tire I've used, compared to Toyo Open Country MT's, Pr-Comp, Nitto MT's and Good Year's.....Just my .02 cents

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts
Here in Utah, Discount Tire will trade in your Dunlops. I don't know where you are, or I would have done a little more research for you. I am partial to the Nitto's myself! :) I would NOT go through the dealership--unless they will match the price. The service manager could do that for you IF he wanted to do it. I would apply a little pressure and see what happens.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I'm leaning towards the Nittos, though I think this is a decent price for the T/A KOs.

I haven't found a tire dealer near me that will give me a good price for trade. Big O offered me $50/tire, and a pretty high price on the Nittos (compared to online). I'm in Santa Barbara, CA...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts