Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't post often but am always reading the post and love the site.
I have a bad situation and am looking for advice. Here is the back story.
I have an 07 fj with a 3 inch lift. I bought 20 inch Moto metal 951 rims nearly 2 years ago and had never got tires. Yesterday, I happened to be playing on craigslist and found a set of 4 nitto terra grapplers in 305x50x20's. The description said 75 percent of tread left and wanted 500 dollars. I drove an hr away, they were in great shape, I offered 400 and he took it! I was pumped.
That brings me to today. I called my local tire discounter and they said they would have to problem mounting my tires and putting them on. I dropped it off this morning, 40 a tire to mount and balance and 40 dollars for lug nuts. 200 total, no big deal.
I was called a little after noon, everything is done, and told me everything went great and no rubbing. I went straight there, saw it in the lot and it looked amazing. Paid the 200 and I was off. I hit the highway and was a few minutes on the road and people were beside me, honking and pointing. I pulled off the road and the smell of burning rubber was so strong. The front wheel wells were covered in rubber shards!
I went straight back to tire discounters. The asst manager came right out. He crawled up under the front and the insides of both tires were rubbing on the control arm. There is a 1/4 inch gouge all the way around the inside diameter of each tire.
He says they'll put my original tires back on. He also said he would not ride these. Then the manager got involved and said there is no problem in running them and that I need a set of spacers.
Once he said he would run them, so did the assistant. I asked if they can give me some kind of guarrantee on them blowing out and it was a stern no! All because I didn't buy them from them.
This went on for about an hour. All the bay guys working said they would not run them and couldn't believe they didn't catch this and let me leave.
So, I'm glad they didn't blow on the highway, could have been disastrous, and now I don't have my tires to put on.
Suggestions, been thru this? Please help, am I just kinda screwed?
Sorry about the long post!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have 20s on my truck no rubbing problems with 285/50/20 . if you neeed the spacers then just get them if that all you need . good luck take pics so we can see

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think it comes down to who is responsible for making sure the tire fit correctly (without rubbing) before you left the shop. You might want to examine the fine print in your sales receipt. By the sound of it, the tire shop should have noticed that there was a problem while it was up on the lift. They can always say that you should have checked their work before you left the shop. If it was me, I would put up a fight to get them to compensate you, at least 50:50 on the cost of tires.

Just my $.02
Bonehead

·
Registered
549 Posts
I personally wouldnt run them if it were me, all depending on how bad the gouge is. Especially on the front of the vehicle which will take more stress on the sidewalls when turning, etc & if you dont run them on the front, you cant rotate. Personally I would talk to them & see if they will give you any sort of deal on two new tires since they mounted them & said all was good when it wasnt. Then get a set of spacers all the way around, which will in turn likely require you to chop the body mount to prevent rub on it. I had a tire shop take a tire off to repair a hole I had on my old mustang & from the very few times I had driven it low to get to a gas station it had rubbed & created a weak spot on the inside sidewall. This shop almost refused to remount the tire & let me drive off & wanted to make me run my doughnut spare until they could get a new tire in, after much talking they did remount it so I could drive it home until the new tire came in. Long story short my point is a sidewall that is thinner than it should be due to rubbing to me, isnt worth messing around with my life & the safety of others.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They told me it may or may need spacers. They wouldn't know till the put them on. Put them on and called and said come get it, there is no rubbing. Since they didn't check and now 2 tires are ruined, should I push for them to replace them?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
They told me it may or may need spacers. They wouldn't know till the put them on. Put them on and called and said come get it, there is no rubbing. Since they didn't check and now 2 tires are ruined, should I push for them to replace them?
If they said in the first place there was no rubbing and there obviously was, it is their word against yours if it isn't in writing. Now with spacers installed and no rubbing all seems good. But it isn't as you know because those 2 tires have been damaged. I'd continue to push for them replacing the 2 damaged tires. Or at the least they replace 1 and you the other. If they still refuse just as you turn to leave say "I hope this doesn't make the evening news. Damaged tires from local shop installation causes accident". The rubber is the only thing that meets the road and your safety and your families is all that counts. As well as the other motorists around you. Good luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will post pics tomorrow of the damaged tires from the rubbing. And a pic with the wheels on before they took them off (looked so good!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts