Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend told me and he swear by his experience. This was an incident in which a car, not sure which drive, but was winter ready and it slid off the road and into pack snow. The owner could not get it to move back on to the road, no matter how he tried. He tried rocking back and forth. So my friend told him to let some air out of the driving tires and that did the trick. I have not tried this yet but is this practical. I don't think that vehicle that he was talking about was a 4WD. Any info. is appreciated.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
what you are talking about is "airing down", in which you deflate your tires down to around 12-15 PSI, lower if you have bead-locks. what this does is allow the tire to spread out more, thus creating a larger contact patch which generally results in better traction, especially on soft deep snow and sand (flotation). I have used this technique on many occasions very effectively.

Here is an article at expeditions west which goes into much greater detail about tires and traction.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hopefully that is a standard power tank I've been seeing in a few pictures. Had to 'deflate' a couple of times myself. In my case, it not only helped me get unstuck, but save me from a huge puncture as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts