Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to plan ahead for my lift....I have good tread left on the tires I currently have and I need some time to save up for everything so it will be a while before I actually do the lift and tires but I have a couple of questions.

I am looking to install the Toytec Ultimate 3" lift with LR UCA's

1) I have looked at the specs on the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO's (which is what I want) and the difference in the overall diameter of the 265/70/17 & 285/70/17 is only 1". Why does most people only go to the 285's after they install a 3" lift?

2) I had the 315/70/17's installed on a truck that I previously had and I would like to go with those babies on my FJ. They are 2-3/4" larger overall diameter than the stock 265's. What would I have to do to get those to fit?

I am only going to be doing mostly light 4 wheeling not close enough to Moab or Rubicon to worry about anything too major. To be quite honest it's mostly because I like the looks of the lifted ride!

·
Banned
7,381 Posts
1) I think most go with the 285's is so they don't have to re-gear and it would be a little easier on all the other equipment. The larger the tires the more stress on all the suspension/steering/transmission. It is kind of crazy to think that you would spend $1000-$3000 on a 3" lift to get a 1" larger tire in there but every bit counts and most are trying to make their already capable vehicle a little extra. These day gas mileage is a factor for most as well and those big/wide tires eat gas.
2) to get the 315's to fit you may need the body mount chop or/and wheel spacers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1.25" Spacers (assuming you are installing those tires on the stock wheels) and Body mount chop should do the trick for you.
I would be getting aftermarket wheels that would take care of the need for spacers.

What the heck is a body mount chop?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts