Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the OEM 17" wheels off and replaced with a set of Trail Teams 16" wheels wearing 265/75R16 Michelin LTX AT2 tires. Can anyone tell me what is the recommended tire pressure for this set up? Perhaps someone with a TT edition can give me the recommended pressure on their manufacture placard.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
While not always accurate for all situations, the recommended tire pressure for normal use is stamped on the sidewall of each tire. When in doubt use that as a starting point.

At least that seems logical.

Jerry:cheers:

·
Registered
885 Posts
I'm running 35psi in my 16" BFGs on TRD beedlock wheels.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have the TRD package with the 265/75/16's BFG AT/KO's "E" rated 10 ply tires. I am running 42 psi. These are heavy duty truck tires and have a inflation recommendation of up to 80+ psi. I would check your rating and recommended psi on the michelin's. If they are heavy duty truck tires they will be rated for up to 80 psi and you should run them with more air.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I'm running 35psi in my 16" BFGs on TRD beedlock wheels.
That's what was indicated on my door frame sticker - from a 2010 TTSE.

I have the TRD package with the 265/75/16's BFG AT/KO's "E" rated 10 ply tires. I am running 42 psi.
I'm also running 42 as that is what the door frame sticker said to run...
42PSI? This is for BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A® KO Tires in 265/75R16, right? Though it's easy to switch tires, it makes me wonder what ratings they picked for the various combos (D for the TT, E for TRD?).

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I ran my stock 265/70/r17s at 35psi. Now running my 285/75/r16s at 33psi. When I've taken it to the dealership they would set both sets of tires (old and new) at 35psi. For me anything over 35 feels like a lumber wagon but I guess it's personal preference.

Plus I run about 18psi on the trail and airing up from there to 45 would take way too long on my little compressor.

·
Registered
885 Posts
There has been a revision, a TSB, and a recall on the tire pressure sensors for the 16" beed lock TRD wheels. There is just a TSB and door jam tire pressure revision for the 6 spoke TRD wheels that come on the 2011 TT and TRD Fj cruisers. The new recommended tire pressure for all TRD wheels and BFG tires is 46 PSI.
My new 2011 Fj has the 46 PSI door jam sticker (dealer installed) and all the new TRDs and TTs I look at when at the dealer also have the 46 PSI door jam sticker as well.
The 17" wheels have the 32 PSI door jam sticker.

·
Registered
254 Posts
There has been a revision, a TSB, and a recall on the tire pressure sensors for the 16" beed lock TRD wheels. There is just a TSB and door jam tire pressure revision for the 6 spoke TRD wheels that come on the 2011 TT and TRD Fj cruisers. The new recommended tire pressure for all TRD wheels and BFG tires is 46 PSI.
My new 2011 Fj has the 46 PSI door jam sticker (dealer installed) and all the new TRDs and TTs I look at when at the dealer also have the 46 PSI door jam sticker as well.
The 17" wheels have the 32 PSI door jam sticker.
I run mine at 40 psi and they look fine, wonder why Toyota wants them run at 46 psi???? Anyone know?

·
Registered
115 Posts
That's what was indicated on my door frame sticker - from a 2010 TTSE.
There is a Toyota recall to up that tire pressure to 40 something and change out the TPMS receiver to match.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Quick Answer - Reference Load Inflation Tables (download from toyotires.com)

LT265/75R16 = 43 psi (C or D Rated). 46 psi (E Rated).

Your tire is the Michelin LTX AT2, LT265/75R16/E 123 R. Since this is an E-Rated tire, that would be 46 psi (the new government required minimum tire pressure for ALL E-Rated tires). Let me explain how this works...

There is a simple formula for finding your recommended tire pressure when you change from the Stock P tires to LT tires. You will need to download the Load Inflation Table from toyotires.com. When switching from P to LT tires, you will always have to increase the pressure greater than 35 psi - this is normal.

Reference "Load Inflation Table" (toyotires.com)

1) Find the load rating for the stock P rated tires at 32 psi. This is our reference load for the FJ Cruiser.
Lookup P Tire Table
P265/70R17 @32 psi = 2425 pounds load (stock tire size and recommended tire pressure). Now we know the recommended load rating for a stock FJ Cruiser.

2) Take the 2425 pounds load / 1.1 (LT Conversion Factor) = 2205 pounds load for LT tires.

3) Find the recommended tire pressure for your new tire size, based on the 2205 pounds LT Tire load.
Lookup LT Tire Table for your new LT tire size
For example: LT265/75R16 for 2205 pounds load = 42.5 psi (rounded up to 43 psi)
This is the recommended tire pressure for the LT265/75R16 for 2205 pounds load.

If you are using a different tire size, you can look up that tire size for 2205 pounds load.
Every tire size will have a different pressure for 2205 pounds load. When someone asks you what tire pressure you are running, it depends entirely on your tire size and if it's a P or LT tire.
Here are some other recommended LT tire pressures from the LT table for 2205 pounds load

LT265/75R16 = 43 psi (TT Stock Tire LT)
LT265/70R17 = 39 psi (Stock Tire Size in LT)
LT285/75R16 = 37 psi
LT285/70R17 = 36 psi
LT285/75R17 = 35 psi

Of course if your FJ Cruiser is heavily modified (metal bumpers, armor, etc), you might want to recalculate your new stock weight and run through this example again. A chalk test usually confirms the above tire pressures.

For the LT265/75R16 Stock TT Tire, 43 psi works perfectly for C (29-50 psi) and D (38-65 psi) rated tires, but if you are running E (46-80 psi) rated BFG tires, you need to bump them up to the government required minimum of 46 psi for ALL E Rated Tires. This will result in a much harder ride, because this is higher the recommended tire pressure for that tire size and load (this is why E-Rated tires are not the best choice for the lighter weight of the FJ).

The stock TT model has a new 46 psi on the door sticker. This was the result of a TPMS recall, and comes from the Government, not Toyota. If Toyota had put C or D rated tires on the TT model, it would probably say 43 psi, not 46 psi.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Extremely old post revival.....does anyone think that running the LT tires at 46psi could possibly accelerate or even cause the inner fender bulging or cracking?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts