Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People tell me that there is a TPMS reset button (small button) under the dash somewhere on my '08 FJ... Is this true? Any if its true, where is it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
There is no reset button. The light goes out when your tire pressure is within the psi the TPMS is set for. You'll need to check the pressure of your 4 mounted tires. If your tires are properly inflated and the light is still on, one of the sensors is bad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
:bigthumb:
There is no reset button. The light goes out when your tire pressure is within the psi the TPMS is set for. You'll need to check the pressure of your 4 mounted tires. If your tires are properly inflated and the light is still on, one of the sensors is bad.
Add to above - also check spare !!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Holy crap! So how do we determine which sensor is bad? I've checked all tires and they're fine and have stayed fine but driving around for months with this fricken light on my dash.

Totally useless system IMO.

Jeff

·
Registered
364 Posts
What would happen if you let the air out of one tire at a time? maybe you could do that as a process of elimination does it just tell you you have a low tire somewhere.
My buddy has one in his truck, not an FJ but it lets you know which tire is low

·
Registered
356 Posts
If all "5" of your tires are above 35Psi and and the light won't go off assuming you are running the same TPMS that came with the truck (not replacement ones, the FJ computer needs to be programmed to read the new sensors if they have been replaced) then you probably have a bad TPMS sensor or computer problem.

You are most likely going to need to go to the Stealership....I say this from experience.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well then - until I have the fund$ to go to the stealership, this is nothing a small sticker or piece of black electrical tape over the warning light can't fix! :rawr:

I've driven dozens of other vehicles over the years without an idiot light giving me false information, I can live without it on this one as well!

Jeff

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just went to the stealership and they told me that it would cost about $110 and take about 2 hours. My Tacoma had the reset button. I swapped tires and wheels with the new FJ and now the FJ system won't read the TPM sensors from the Tacoma.

I'm with you about ignoring the idiot light and checking my air pressure manually on a regular basis.

I had gone in to the dealer to follow up on the recall for the TPM system (hoping that they would just re-register the sensors from the Tacoma wheels to the FJ system) but he said there was no recall only a check up to see if passenger vehicle tires had been installed on TT FJ's instead of truck tires.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My tire pressure light came on this past week. I checked all tires and found my left rear tire had a big peice of metal stickinbg out, the tire pressure indicator did its job. But i switched out with the spare and whether the spare is back on or not the light just stays on. I want this off so i can tell for the time being, the tires i drive on arent losing air. Any help? Thanks forum!!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
My tire pressure light came on this past week. I checked all tires and found my left rear tire had a big peice of metal stickinbg out, the tire pressure indicator did its job. But i switched out with the spare and whether the spare is back on or not the light just stays on. I want this off so i can tell for the time being, the tires i drive on arent losing air. Any help? Thanks forum!!

Disconnect the battery?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Disconnect the battery?
Ya, wouldnt hurt. Ill try this tomorrow. Ill update on what the outcome is. Thanks :cheers:

·
Registered
238 Posts
I just got a notice myself a few days ago from toyota. My fj was not equipped with trd wheels i know that. Plus, just had my full size spare patched up and the light went off so im pretty sure everything is fine thus far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I put new Terra Grapplers (stock size) on my wife's 08 and the light has never come on ....tires looked low so I checked and all were around 27 lbs....any idea why the tpm did not show the low pressure issue??? any help would be great

·
Registered
879 Posts
LOVE IT:bigthumb:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here's what I ended up doing - hope it helps someone else!

I had to buy some tires at one of the big discount warehouses for my son the other day. While the associate was writing up the order, I asked him about the TPMS light. He said that since we were buying some tires, that I could bring him my FJ during the week while it was slow and he would do it for free.

I did as told and one of the tire guys walked around my FJ with a small machine and registered my TPMS sensors to the "brain". Took him about 5 minutes and there was no charge. This is the kind of stuff that gives the dealerships a bad rep. In my previous post, I mentioned how the dealership wanted $110 and it would take a couple of hours.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts