Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
I bought the tire warranty at Discount Tire when I upgraded my tires. It covers TPM Sensors and I replaced one for free (that Toyota wanted $200 for). The warranty has already paid for itself! My 2 Cents....

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Computer monitors all 5 tires, if you switched out spare and damaged one, but did not repair it, the sensor in the damaged one still sends a deflated signal to computer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
FYI -
My FJ is 2011 - tire warning light was staying on. I followed an emailers procedure and it worked fine. Here it is:

Before you start the procedure get all tires to same air (including spare). The spare was the one I didn't include at first and it prevented a reset.
NOW,
Turn car off then turn ignition to ON position (not starting engine).
Underneath the steering column fairly far back is a button, hold it down.
After the warning light blinks three times let go of the button.
Now turn the key to start car. My light went out at this point but others have suggested driving at 19 mph or greater to let the calibration kick in. I didn't need to.

I know this has been posted but I'm just doing it again as a convenience to others. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
159 Posts
FYI -
My FJ is 2011 - tire warning light was staying on. I followed an emailers procedure and it worked fine. Here it is:

Before you start the procedure get all tires to same air (including spare). The spare was the one I didn't include at first and it prevented a reset.
NOW,
Now turn the key to start car. My light went out at this point but others have suggested driving at 19 mph or greater to let the calibration kick in. I didn't need to.

I know this has been posted but I'm just doing it again as a convenience to others. Hope this helps.
I assume this doesn't "recalibrate" the sensors, it merely resets the light. Correct?

I was unaware there is a button under there. I have a '13 and I will be going out to look in a little while to verify...

·
Registered
159 Posts
FYI -

NOW,

I assume this doesn't "recalibrate" the sensors, it merely resets the light. Correct?

I was unaware there is a button under there. I have a '13 and I will be going out to look in a little while to verify...

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I have a '13. There is a button there clearly marked.

I think it does recalibrate. Intended for running low pressure on the trail. Reset your light after you air down so that your light will come on if you lose any more pressure.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a '13. There is a button there clearly marked.

I think it does recalibrate. Intended for running low pressure on the trail. Reset your light after you air down so that your light will come on if you lose any more pressure.
Makes sense.....I guess I will dump my tires down a bunch and see if it works...

Sent from my Galaxy SIII

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bump -

Can anyone take a picture of where this button is? I can't find it on my 2011. Should I just sit in the drivers seat and then reach underneath the dash?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Bump -

Can anyone take a picture of where this button is? I can't find it on my 2011. Should I just sit in the drivers seat and then reach underneath the dash?

Thanks!
Right next to the hood release. Can't miss it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Interesting .. my 2010 has that little cubby-hole on the panel, but there's no button in it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Interesting .. my 2010 has that little cubby-hole on the panel, but there's no button in it.
Same with my 2011. Just checked.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I mounted new tires on a set of old FJ wheels without the sensors. My tire light isn't coming on. Can I just call this a blessing or is something wrong with the monitor????
It came on once after about 100 miles, but since hasn't come back on!!
Is it ready to 'blow up'!!!!
Jax':wave:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Old topic, but new for me. I just had the tires topped up, they were all down to about 28psi, and I got them up to the 32psi recommended, and that turned on the tire pressure warning light. I tried the reset procedure as it says in the owner's manual, and it flashes 3 times like it says, but then it stays on.
I read in another post that it could be the spare causing the light to stay on? Is that true? Does the spare have a sending unit on it? I guess I can get the cover off the spare to check it, but its so cold out right now, I don't feel like doing that! Haha... Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ah OK, I got out and took the spare cover off, and it was pretty low, 24psi. I topped it up to 32psi. Went over to reset the warning light and discovered it went out on its own, didn't need to reset it. I am wondering how low the pressure needs to go for the light to go on, or what pressure it was set to at the factory. I was about 4psi low on each tire, and the light never came on, only after I 'increased' the pressure to the factory spec did it come on...

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 09 FJ was also on the tire pressure light.
I asked the guys where I got it from/etc.,
long story short:
I took it for oil change/trans fluid change, engine filter, (I just got the thing it has been sitting over 6 mo), the guys there said to up the air pressure in the tire to 40 psi., no prob.
light is out.

my light was not blinking but a steady on…
me happy camper.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey gang,

Just chiming in on this... I found this thread because I wanted to know what the Low tire button actually did on the lower part of my dash.

I was hoping that the switch allowed me to set at what pressure the light comes on as it is default at 26 psi I believe.

In response to others about the light being on... You can raise all tires to 30+ and the light will sometimes stay on... A little trick I learned from one of the mechanics in our shop..

Fill them all up to 40 psi...start the car.. move it a few feet... shut car off completely on ignition switch... lower all tire pressure to 20 lbs ish.. at least a 15-20 lb swing...

Move it a few feet again.. then shut off turn off ignition.. fill to desired pressure above 30 lbs and the light (if the Sensor was stuck), This was in Iowa where temps dip well below 0 during the winter.

Just wanted to add this since , many people came into our service department (Toyota).. complaining of bad tire sensor not turning off... 15 minutes saves you labor and cost of the sensor...

*Previous performance are not indicative of future gains*

Anyway.. Anyone know what the hell the low tire pressure switch does on the lower left hand side dash next to hood release...

The reason I ask, like many have said, the light will turn off when tire pressure is above the default psi... usually 26-28psi.. I am hoping the switch allows you to set the default tire pressure..

·
Registered
586 Posts
Just wanted to add this since , many people came into our service department (Toyota).. complaining of bad tire sensor not turning off... 15 minutes saves you labor and cost of the sensor...
Wait, you work at a Toyota dealership in the service center and you are asking us?

Do you realize that sometimes the low pressure light stays on because people typically do not check the pressure in the spare tire?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
'12 through '14 FJs have a TPMS reset button under the dash.

The reset procedure, from the '14 Owner's Manual:

How to initialize the tire pressure warning system

1. Park the vehicle in safe place and turn the engine switch to the LOCK position.
(While the vehicle is moving, initialization is not performed.)

2. Adjust the tire inflation pressure to the specified cold tire inflation pressure level.
Make sure to adjust the tire pressure to the specified cold tire inflation pressure level. The tire pressure warning system will operate based on this pressure level.

3. Turn the engine switch to the ON position.

4. Press and hold the tire pressure warning reset switch until the tire pressure warning light blinks slowly 3 times.

5. Wait for a few minutes with the engine switch in the ON position, and then turn the engine switch to the ACC or LOCK position.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks, I used it today for our trip up Antero, worked great after airing down... I hit the sequence.. and the light went off like a charm.. set at 18 lbs... When I aired up to 34 psi and did it again and again the light is set the that pressure... When the pressure gets below 4 psi what they are set for the lights will come on on low tire

so now if my light comes on, it means something ;)

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Thanks, I used it today for our trip up Antero, worked great after airing down... I hit the sequence.. and the light went off like a charm.. set at 18 lbs... When I aired up to 34 psi and did it again and again the light is set the that pressure... When the pressure gets below 4 psi what they are set for the lights will come on on low tire so now if my light comes on, it means something ;)
Bear with me here, I'm trying to determine if the "set-point" on the TPMS sensors is "fixed", or "adjustable", and some parts of your post are not clear:

1. What year is your FJ?

2. What is the RECOMMENDED tire inflation pressure for the original tires, as shown on the label on the driver's door jamb? (this helps determine if the TPMS sensor actuation point is "fixed", and linked to the recommended inflation pressure for whatever tires were installed when the FJ was built)

3. You performed the initial TPMS reset procedure with all tires set at 18 PSI?

4. Not clear what you mean by "... aired up to 34 PSI and did it again and again ...". Did WHAT again and again .... performed the reset procedure, or reduced tire pressure to 18 PSI, or something else?

5. After doing whatever you did, are you saying that your TPMS indicator light now turns ON at 14 PSI (18 - 4), or turns on at 30 PSI (34-4)?

21 - 40 of 60 Posts