Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched posts, in regards to my question, and had originally followed the guidelines suggested here, and Toyota, but a recent trip to notable local tire and wheel dealer (Est 1929, 5 generations) I'm second guessing both.

As condition of sale, dealer installed BFG AT 285/75/17 Load E at 32psi. At that point I started searching here for confirmation that 32 psi was in range.

After a recent 5 tire rotation at dealer, it was apparent after that they never balanced the spare before rotating it in. Went to local shop previously mentioned and they suggested a min of 55 with load e, said the tires overheat, and that I should've purchased plymetrics (sp.) for FJ, not E. I understand the rationale behind the e rating on FJ, but I have driven with the 55 psi for several days and the ride quality is improved, possibly from proper balancing, but nonetheless it's notably smoother. I'm sure there would be a mpg increase, and after running E's on F350 at pressures greater than Ford suggests, but within tire specs., with improvement in MPG's and ride quality while hauling, I figure there's a reason behind veh manufacturers psi recommendation, but not sure under what conditions.

Asking for input, or personal experiences in regards to, for on road situations.

Chris Delancy

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
E-rated tires are made for trucks quite a bit heavier than an FJC. Having said that, I'm running E-rated Toyos on mine because they make an MT tire in a size I wanted (34") and it only comes in an E-rating. I run mine at 42-45 psi on the highway and air down to 18 psi for dirt roads and down to 10-11 psi for rock crawling.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
E-rated tires are made for trucks quite a bit heavier than an FJC. Having said that, I'm running E-rated Toyos on mine because they make an MT tire in a size I wanted (34") and it only comes in an E-rating. I run mine at 42-45 psi on the highway and air down to 18 psi for dirt roads and down to 10-11 psi for rock crawling.
Thanks. I'm going to air down from 55psi in 5pm increments to gauge ride quality and overall stability. I don't think there will be a marked difference from 55 to 45-42 range, but from 55-32, tremendous change in overall ride quality and stability.

Thanks for response.

Chris Delancy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts