Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 FJ TT is now 7.5 years old. Yesterday, I started getting a low tire pressure warning even though all of the tires, including the spare, are at the factory setting. So, I ordered 4 new TPS. My question is: Can a local tire replace them or does the dealer have to place them as well as reset the computer?

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I live outside of the US where TPS is not required by law so my knowledge of TPS is very limited. Additionally, my FJ does not have TPS. Several times I've ordered and shipped tires and wheels from the States. Each time I made a purchase, the company would ask me if I want TPS installed on the wheels. Based on this, it's my assumption that these sensors automatically pair with the vehicle but as I stated my knowledge of TPS is limited.

I'm curious. When you ordered your new sensors did you have to specify Toyota?

·
Premium Member
2013 FJ Army Green MT
490 Posts
A local tire shop can install. My 2013 had 2 sensors go out this year so I Schwab replace them all.

·
Registered
2007 Silver FJ 4x4
6 Posts
My 2013 FJ TT is now 7.5 years old. Yesterday, I started getting a low tire pressure warning even though all of the tires, including the spare, are at the factory setting. So, I ordered 4 new TPS. My question is: Can a local tire replace them or does the dealer have to place them as well as reset the computer?

Thanks for the input.
I live outside of the US where TPS is not required by law so my knowledge of TPS is very limited. Additionally, my FJ does not have TPS. Several times I've ordered and shipped tires and wheels from the States. Each time I made a purchase, the company would ask me if I want TPS installed on the wheels. Based on this, it's my assumption that these sensors automatically pair with the vehicle but as I stated my knowledge of TPS is limited.

I'm curious. When you ordered your new sensors did you have to specify Toyota?

Thanks for the input.
Yooo. Any tire shop can typically put a sensor in. The issue is getting it to program. Some stand alone tire shops do have a programmer. Some do not. Our shop has one and we do have to reprogram replacement sensors. Using a programming tool after they are installed so it will sync with the vehicle. I would just contact whatever shop you are going to use and make sure they have a way to program the new sensors to your vehicle. Where are you located? If you are near western North Carolina then we can do it lol.
-Jared

·
14,157 Posts

Thanks for the input.
Why not 5 ?

Fill em 10psi over and back it off to wherever pressure you like to run it at. The light will probably go off. Mine did. All OEM on a 2011 w/ 82K miles. I've had several shops, inc. DT, LS and a GY, LIE their a$$es off that all 5 needed replacement and refused to show me the scanner screen.

$60 each x 5
PLUS M&B
PLUS Scanner to program
I was getting $450-$600 quotes

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yooo. Any tire shop can typically put a sensor in. The issue is getting it to program. Some stand alone tire shops do have a programmer. Some do not. Our shop has one and we do have to reprogram replacement sensors. Using a programming tool after they are installed so it will sync with the vehicle. I would just contact whatever shop you are going to use and make sure they have a way to program the new sensors to your vehicle. Where are you located? If you are near western North Carolina then we can do it lol.
-Jared
Will ask my local tire shop. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why not 5 ?

Fill em 10psi over and back it off to wherever pressure you like to run it at. The light will probably go off. Mine did. All OEM on a 2011 w/ 82K miles. I've had several shops, inc. DT, LS and a GY, LIE their a$$es off that all 5 needed replacement and refused to show me the scanner screen.

$60 each x 5
PLUS M&B
PLUS Scanner to program
I was getting $450-$600 quotes
Typo. Actually ordered 5. Purchased 5 on the Internet from McGeorge Toyota Dealer's parts department. $61 each versus $132 from my local Toyota dealer! List is $91. Didn't know Toyota dealer could sell above list!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I actually deleted TPMS from my rig once they said it would be $450 to replace the 3 that they broke while transferring them to my new wheels, but for future reference, this site has good quality sensors for basically every modern car for wayyyyyy more reasonable prices.

TPMS.com

My dad got a set for his Porsche winter wheels and they work perfectly (safe to say the ECU in that car is a bit pickier than an FJ). The link I provided should go to the page for the 2014 FJ, so I expect you guys can figure it out from there lol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah I got a quote to fix my broken TPMS for $400+. Hard Pass for me. I always measure tire pressure manually anyway. The light sure is annoying though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah I got a quote to fix my broken TPMS for $400+. Hard Pass for me. I always measure tire pressure manually anyway. The light sure is annoying though.
There's some great threads on how to turn off the TPMS light with some easy wiring. Takes 20 minutes tops, and its reversible if use the right kind of wire tap.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to just take the bulb out?

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
"Wouldn't it be easier to just take the bulb out?"

What bulb?

:)

(its an LED mounted directly to the board)

·
Registered
79 Posts

Thanks for the input.
Discount Tires has them and will put them in. There are 5 count, not 4.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can buy them on ebay and program yourself with Techstream and ODB2 cable. I bought 4 for less than 40 dollars in ebay and the cable from Amazon in 30 dollars.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yes, a couple of links please. My FJ is now 10 years old. My TPMS system is still functioning, but since I have to replace the tires, I'm going to replace the sensors at the same time. I'd like to be able to reprogram the new TPMS sensors to the system myself, so how does one use Techstream and not be a dealer?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts