Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 FJ and have a tire pressure sensor question.

Does the spare tire have the sensor too? I noticed that my valve stems have a green colored-in circle for the tires on the FJ but the spare tire valve stem is all black.

I'm getting new rims/tires and need to swap the tpms to new setup and just checking. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks all for the help. I cant wait to get my black rims on, that will complete my blacked out 2010 Army Green.

I spent the last month over 3 different weekends painting various parts of the silver bumper pieces.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Is this possible on the FJ:

First, I think the TPMS on an off-roader is stupid (Thanks Toyota)

Second, is the monitoring system a piece of equipment mounted on the inner rim? If so, is it possible (I have heard of people doing this) to put all the sensors in the spare tire and then you would have no worries when you air down or any other reasons that would activate the TPMS. Basically you would just have to maintain proper PSI in the spare.

Can we do this or is there reasons not to?? Thanks

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
The sensors are part of the valve stem located inside the tire. I'm not sure how you would plan on putting them inside the spare. But why not just disable the stupid TPMS dash light, as I did, and occasionally look at your tires to see if they need air (an effective/cost-free method that has worked flawlessly for over 100 years).

I also don't understand the reasoning for having TPM's on a vehicle that is advertised to be an off-roader.

Jerry:cheers:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
There is a TPMS disable hack that is priceless. You just join two wires under the drivers side glove box and it's off for good. Takes 3 minutes.

·
Registered
193 Posts
... i also don't understand the reasoning for having TPM's on a vehicle that is advertised to be an off-roader.

Jerry:cheers:
Unfortunately it's not Toyota's fault. It is federal law. Thank you congressman and your representatives for that bit of "Nanny State" improvement to your vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Thanks, Good info, I will most likely do the "hack" I found the one thread, are there any with pics. I guess you can just tap the tpms wire to the 12v wire. Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
1,831 Posts
I’ll 2nd that – and it is better you find that out about the spare now than when your low-pressure warning light comes on and you repeatedly check the 4 tires and they check out fine, again, and again, and again… :lol:
Happened to me this weekend :lol:

I wanted to bump this thread to the top.

The temperature (and consequently, pressure) dropped significantly in a span of 2 weeks, and the Tire Pressure Alarm started glowing orange.

Pressurized all my tires, inspected them for punctures - nothing. Still stayed on. It was only after reading this post that I realized I should have checked the spare as well...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts