Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just put on BFG A/T K02 on on Monday. Today is Friday and after five days of driving I took a trip to the mountains today. 20 minutes up the hills and the TPMS light comes on. Pulled over and checked the tire pressure. Passenger side was about 42psi for both. Driver front around 39-40. Passenger rear blew the Guage out way past its 50 psi limit. I reset everything to 42psi given hot wheels. Still after an hour break in 60 degree weather, and the rest of the days driving, the light stayed on.

Isn't it only supposed to go off only under low pressure conditions?

Rechecked the pressure throughout the day and everything stayed the same so no leaks.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
Yep...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even the stock spare tire didn't have a tpms in it. Being mounted on the back, there's no connection point even if it had a tpms in it. Plus I was riding around for several days without the warning light going off. Don't see how the spare has anything to do with this.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
Umm..........what connection point? They aren't plugged in. They run on radio signals and the computer will pick up the signal on the 4 working and the 1 spare. If the air pressure is different enough in the spare vs the other 4 it will set off the light/alarm just like they do. The info about the spare from everyone is because it happens a lot that people check the 4 main tires and not the spare and the spare ends up being low and causing the problems. When new the FJ would have or should have had 5 sensors, 4 in the main wheels and 1 in the spare. If yours doesn't then who knows what's causing the problem.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Even the stock spare tire didn't have a tpms in it. Being mounted on the back, there's no connection point even if it had a tpms in it. Plus I was riding around for several days without the warning light going off. Don't see how the spare has anything to do with this.
How do you know the stock spare does not have a tpms in it? Everyone else with an FJ has a tpms in their spare, why should yours be any different? Since the computer system is set up to monitor 5 tpms and you indicate you drove around for several days without the warning light coming on, I suspect you have a tpms in your spare and the spare tire pressure is now low. Otherwise, your light would have been on when the removal of the tpms in the spare was made and there would be no getting it to turn of without the 5th sensor present.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
If it does not have a tpms in it then that is your problem. All 5 tires should have tpms in them.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I don't have any TPMS on my 07 FJ, but do on the Corolla we have. I had a tire and rim and that wheel's TPMS replaced on the Corolla all done by a collision shop with some other work due to an accident and after a few days (not right away for some reason) the TPMS light came on. Tried adjusting pressure, etc and nothing worked. Ended up having to have the TPMS sensors reprogrammed/paired up properly at dealership on the collision shop's dime, as it appeared the shop did not do it properly. All was good after that.

I agree with the other responses, check your spare first, but it is possible that the tire shop either didn't mate the TPMS sensors up properly with the FJ's computer, or possibly one went bad after the install. Did the tire shop install new TPMS sensors, did they reuse old ones, did they replace the one in the spare as well? If checking/adjusting the spare tire pressure doesn't fix it, your manual should have some info on resetting the TPMS. If that doesn't work, take it back to the tire shop.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, I was told at discount tire I only had 4 tpms. I know my BFG spare doesn't have the tpms in it from the stock spare (if there is one in it) because they never took apart the spare. I'll check but if that's the case, the light should have went off right away once mounting the BFG.

·
Desert Moderator
5,670 Posts
My FJ is so basic it doesn't have TPMS, the dash gauge cluster, cruise control, electric mirrors, backup camera, etc,etc... I'm surprised that it has electric windows TBH.
that said, it has all the factory offroad goodies & dual fuel tanks though.
The major benefit with my setup is there is less to go wrong :)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Okay, I was told at discount tire I only had 4 tpms. I know my BFG spare doesn't have the tpms in it from the stock spare (if there is one in it) because they never took apart the spare. I'll check but if that's the case, the light should have went off right away once mounting the BFG.
Well, again, not so sure. The one on my Corolla took a couple of days to come on, after it had apparently not been paired properly with the computer upon replacement, so I'm not sure there isn't some period of time before it comes on.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
If you have all your sensors in then you may have a battery that went dead in a sensor.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Whats this TPMS you all speak of?
Tire pressure monitorin system...something like that.

Okay to the first few posters and everyone that helped, you guys were right...the tpms was still in the spare stock tire. I noticed this morning the light was off when I started the FJ [stock spare was in the garage close to the FJ]. Had discount swap out the tpms from the stock to new spare. All is good.

However, before I did that I drove the FJ to the gas station away from that stock spare and no light came on. Makes me wonder how often it checks the tire pressure since I went days without it ever going off. Curious ?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Tire pressure monitorin system...something like that.

Okay to the first few posters and everyone that helped, you guys were right...the tpms was still in the spare stock tire. I noticed this morning the light was off when I started the FJ [stock spare was in the garage close to the FJ]. Had discount swap out the tpms from the stock to new spare. All is good.

However, before I did that I drove the FJ to the gas station away from that stock spare and no light came on. Makes me wonder how often it checks the tire pressure since I went days without it ever going off. Curious ?
I was just reading this post from 2015 and thought about the guy that got his spare tire stolen, rolled up up another truck and his TPMS light went out! Bingo- the car next to him was the thief. Owned!:blueblob:

·
Registered
49 Posts
mine came on the first cold day after i bought it. i checked "all my tires" and they were fine. it was brand new so i took it to the dealer under warranty. i was informed "your spare was a couple pounds low". talk about feeling like a dumbass. i never thought to check that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts