Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to have to get new tires for my FJ in the not too distant future and I am wondering what folks here can recommend. My FJ is essentially "stock" and I don't plan on doing any major lifts etc to it as it is also my daily driver and family vehicle, but I am wanting to do some off roading with it. What would you recommend for the best type of tire for it? I live in southern Iowa so we have to deal with quite a bit of snow and ice in the winter, and then pretty sticky mud in the spring and summer. Most of my driving is on the highway and dirt roads, but as I said I am planning on doing some off roading with it as well. Any help you can lend is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I live near the quad cities. I have been more than satisfied with my Maxxis MT-762 Bighorns. I am stock with 16" rims. The size I went with is most here on the forums call pizza cutters. 255/85/16

I have found a narrower tire does pretty well in the snow. Even on ice these tires did there job very well. For added security, I went ahead and had the tires siped halfway through the winter season. The only reason I did this was I just happened to be near a Discount Tire in Chicago. Without sipe though these tires did very well.

The only con to this tire is that there is a bit of road noise. But that is to be expected when you go with a MT tire.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm running Cooper Discoverer SST's and have been very happy with them. It is a fairly aggressive tread pattern, yet it is quiet on the pavement. Mine have well over 60,000, probably closer to 70,000 on them currently. I'm planning to get another set later this year.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Goodyear Silent Armour

·
Registered
254 Posts
BFG A/T KO's 265/75/16 are "E" rated tires came on my TRD 2010 FJC, these should last 100K miles. 10 ply tires :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm curious why do they call them "pizza cutters"? Think I might go with the Maxxis, I have read some reviews that say they don't last very long. Has anyone had any problems with that? Thanks for all the great input!

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
All good suggestions here. I just put a set of Nitto Terra grapplers on my 2011 FJ. they are LT265/70/17's E rated tires. My first set on my 2008 FJ went 55K and I never got stuck. Wear evenly with rotation at every 5K. They are good looking tough tires and since E rated, almost indestructible. They are A/T tire and rated for mud/snow. Great tires.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
BTW I'm geting 19.4 mpg with these Nitto's and they are very quiet.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
All good suggestions here. I just put a set of Nitto Terra grapplers on my 2011 FJ. they are LT265/70/17's E rated tires. My first set on my 2008 FJ went 55K and I never got stuck. Wear evenly with rotation at every 5K. They are good looking tough tires and since E rated, almost indestructible. They are A/T tire and rated for mud/snow. Great tires.
Agreed, I like my Nitto Terras as well. check out discount tire who are vendors here on the forum. Or there is probably a Nitto dealer very close to you.

Doc

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm curious why do they call them "pizza cutters"? Think I might go with the Maxxis, I have read some reviews that say they don't last very long. Has anyone had any problems with that? Thanks for all the great input!
"pizza cutters" = tall and skinny, looks like an actual pizza cutter :lol:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Check out Goodyear Silent Armor (SA) and Dura Trac (DT). Both have the "mountain snow flake" rating that is better in snow and ice than tires with the "mud and snow" rating. The DT is more off road oriented than the SA. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Check out Goodyear Silent Armor (SA) and Dura Trac (DT). Both have the "mountain snow flake" rating that is better in snow and ice than tires with the "mud and snow" rating. The DT is more off road oriented than the SA. :bigthumb:
Agreed BFG A/T KO's are not very good in the snow compared to the tires that come with the snow flake. But it has not snowed here much :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am running the Yokohama Geolander AT 265/75-16 LRD. Few things to consider when choosing tires.

Tread Wear: Higher # on the tread wear = longer life = less grip on payment

Load Range: A = lowest load capacity less ply rating E = higher load capacity higher load rating also heavier and stiffer ride. Most FJ come with LRC or D stock.

Tread design: Bigger the channels, better dirt performance, but its noisy and poorer mileage. Denser the channels, better street performance, less noise and better mileage but poorer dirt performance.

If you spend most of the time driving around town, best to go with All-Terrain type tires. At least this give you some performance when you decide to go play in the dirt. :)

·
Premium Member
6,519 Posts
Tread Wear: Higher # on the tread wear = longer life = less grip on payment

Load Range: A = lowest load capacity less ply rating E = higher load capacity higher load rating also heavier and stiffer ride. Most FJ come with LRC or D stock.

Tread design: Bigger the channels, better dirt performance, but its noisy and poorer mileage. Denser the channels, better street performance, less noise and better mileage but poorer dirt performance.

If you spend most of the time driving around town, best to go with All-Terrain type tires. At least this give you some performance when you decide to go play in the dirt. :)
I couldn't have said this better.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've noticed that with most of the tires there are at least a couple of choices for the plys. Do I need to go with a 10 ply for some offroading, or would a 5 or 6 ply be ok?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Agreed BFG A/T KO's are not very good in the snow compared to the tires that come with the snow flake. But it has not snowed here much :)
BFG ATs come with the mountain/snowflake symbol. I've had them on 2 different vehicles now. Put them through a couple harsh Oregon winters. They did great in the snow and ice.

The only other AT tire I would probably buy for snowy conditions are General Grabber AT2s. They're severe snow service rated and have a tread similar to the BFGs.

·
Registered
254 Posts
BFG ATs come with the mountain/snowflake symbol. I've had them on 2 different vehicles now. Put them through a couple harsh Oregon winters. They did great in the snow and ice.

The only other AT tire I would probably buy for snowy conditions are General Grabber AT2s. They're severe snow service rated and have a tread similar to the BFGs.
I think we are both right the E rated tire that came on my FJC does not have the snowflake, more plys harder longer wearing rubber. I know that the C rated comes with the snowflake but does in come in the 265/75/16 size?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Professor,
You have advised well by every member but considering my experience I will suggest you to have nitto terra grapplers for your FJ.
They are tough and indestructible tires.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I decided to go with the Terra Grapplers. I got them installed today and they look great! The ride has even seemed to improve a little with the stiffer tire, although I haven't driven it very far yet. Next step, rock rails! Thanks for all of your help!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts