Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 31k on my factory 07 tires and I need to replace them before the Ouray adventure. Could anyone recommend a good tire brand/make for that type of terrain?...understanding also that I must travel over 1,000 highway miles to get there? I want a good mix between great off-road and okay on-road tires. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
There is nothing about the trails in Ouray that would dictate a specific tire. There are some rocky places and if I recall correctly, one driver cut a sidewall but that seemed to be a random occurrence.

Most any good AT and or MT if you prefer a more aggressive tire. Of course, you will get many who recommend BFG's and you can't go wrong with them. If it were me, I would go with the BFG MT KM1 in 255/85/16's...

·
Registered
831 Posts
bfg t/a's are good i had firestones mts and the lugs were falling off with only 15k on them. I have toyos now but there pricey.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
I agree, any good A/T or M/T will work well. I run the BFG A/T KO's, that's all I've run on the past 6 4x4's. They're great for on-road & work very well off road. Good luck!

·
Registered
934 Posts
I am also looking at tires and have narrowed it down to the nitto terrra grappler or the KM2. I am leaning toward the Nitto due to road behavior and some have said the KM2 are not very good in the snow,but damn they are good looking tires.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much for the recommendations. I appreciate all the input.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Mickey Thompson MTZ. Or Baja claw radials. i got close to 25 k on em and bareley worn. Spensive though.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
I read an article last year that included an interview with the president of a local 4 wheel drive club, he recommended A/T's for that area.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
if your local terrain is similar to ouray then I would go with a good AT such as BFG AT or Nitto Terra Grappler....if you frequent mud then would change that to MudCountry or BFG MT (new tread pattern).

I prefer the Nitto Terra Grapplers for their sidewall strength and on road performance while being slightly more aggressive and self cleaning than the BFG AT if you happen into some snow or mud.....but in sand or rocks I think they are similar.

Good luck...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Whether you pick an AT or an MT the biggest advantage to new tires is the piece of mind you get with having gotten rid of the terrible Dunlaps. With all I have heard about how bad the Dunlaps were, I was always paranoid while out on the trails around rocks.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree, I have thrashed mine bad, but I wanted to get MAX usage before throwing them away. I've blown one already on an off-road trail off Highway 1 in California and the rest are torn up really bad. I was glad I got 31k...that is a lot for stock junk tires.

thanks again for all the input, this helps my shopping knowledge a lot.

Whether you pick an AT or an MT the biggest advantage to new tires is the piece of mind you get with having gotten rid of the terrible Dunlaps. With all I have heard about how bad the Dunlaps were, I was always paranoid while out on the trails around rocks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
BFG A/T have some shortcomings that's for sure. In mud you might as well be using slicks they get clogged up so quick. On the highway, In light snow and ice you are king though. I find the tread to be overly tame and less effective for rock climbing than a m/t. whatever you choose I'd look for sumtin with siping for ice, water and snow traction as well as moderately aggressive lugs and you will kick the crap out of Ouray.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I love my Mickey Thompson MTZ - they look awesome and ride great and I drive on the highway alot and the road noise you would expect from a tire that is this aggressive does not exist. I am very proud of mine. Good luck

Mickey Thompson MTZ. Or Baja claw radials. i got close to 25 k on em and bareley worn. Spensive though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts