Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, Dec. 17th, I purchased 4 Nitto Terra Grappler 265 75 17 tires to mount on my stock wheels, which were in prime condition. Purchased at a chain tire and battery location, after eagerly awaiting my vehicle the culprit slunked out of it and tossed the keys onto the counter and walked away. Moments before this, I was handed my lug, well, half of it, with nut in tact by the sales associate. He told me that a problem occured with the "torque wrench" which, im certain after reviewing the damage, never was involved and resulted in the broken lug. Today is Tuesday, Dec. 21 and still I wait for this lug to be ordered and installed by said company. So they expect me to drive on a wheel with a broken lug for 5 days. :flame: Anyway after washing and inspecting wheels, I was pissed to see an identical chip on the same offset position on each wheel. This drew me to further inspect the wheel area around the broken lug, which looked like a dremmel tool had scribed into it. My only conclusion is that the "technician" had that thing flying as he came into the lug or upon removal of the gun. So I'm faced with a choice as I go in tomorrow to correct this issue while I get my new lug. I basically know what I would feel to be fair compensation, but I'm looking for other options as well. Also, please be aware that not all shops will treat your FJ with the love and care it deserves!! Thank you. :ninja:

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Stop by the local hardware store and buy an axe handle. There are some "techs" that think they are going to earn a spot on a NASCAR Team by being fast. Bottom line is that they screwed up and should make it right. That's the question you face, what is that "right" in your opinion. You'll be OK on four lugs for five days if they are on properly.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The same thing happened to me. The torque wrench was set too high, and they did it on the same vehicle on multiple tires. I went and bought new lugs and had it fixed at a reputable place and went back to the "bad" tire place with the bill for the new lugs and the bill for fixing, told them if they did not pay up that I would go higher in the company, and they paid. Sometimes you gotta stick up for yourself when you get ripped off.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'd tell them that they now need to pay to have TOYOTA put on the replacement lug. Oh and buy you a new wheel!

-cad

·
Registered
936 Posts
Welcome to the forum, to bad your first post was about your FJ being violated. I hate it when my stuff is used to train somebody and charged full price for said service. Anyway be the squeaky wheel, it easier for them to grease it than fight it. Goodluck and let us know how it works out for you.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I don't know about how the shops are where y'all live, but i ask politely if i can be in the shop to make sure things are done right and i have never been told no. If they would tell me that i could not watch them to make sure they did the job correctly, i would take my business elsewhere.

I also usually tip the person working on my vehicle for putting up with all of my very detailed, specific requests.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I have a better story. Last spring I buy four new tires to put on my alloys. So off I go to a large retailer and purchase my tires. The guy that started mounting comes in about 45 minutes later to the waiting room to inform me that the machine "bit" the wheel. Three or four deep gouges. I am not impressed but meh it happens. He says the manager will look after the resurfacing. So they take the spare off and then a shift change.... Young fella is the next to take a kick at the cat and he uses the same machine that bit the wheel..... 2 hours later I am good to go. I scoot out to the shop floor to look and I get pissed when I see one wheel gouged....then 2....3....4.....YUP. Every alloy gouged.

Two days later I arrive with my steelies to put the tires on so they can send out my alloys for resurfacing... That day they managed to bend the mounting surface of a steelie.

In the end I got five alloys resurfaced. I got one brand new steelie and they ate the cost of mounting (lol), balancing, warranty and taxes.

Was it a hassle??? OH YEAH. But in the end I got five alloys (that were pitted bad) resurfaced to new condition and I learned a valuable lesson.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You are SO fortunate Layonnn! Where I live just being female is detrimental in any car business here, (ie. dealerships and mechanics shops, car parts stores, etc.) and license for being treated like a second class walking bank account with nothing between the ears. OK, granted I'm tall, blonde and honest to a fault, but I have a brain that is exercised regularly. I have raised four children and I know BS when I see it. :rawr:Recently I went into a dealership here with cash (which they did not know) to buy a truck and after explaining exactly what I needed, was put in a room and completely ignored for 45 minutes! They will never get a cent from me, ever. Politeness goes a long way in many cases, and I always am polite and do tip when deserved, especially since truly good, caring service is rare. WHAT is it with mechanics now? It's like a chimp set loose with a razor blade! But all is not lost.....Thank goodness I have a GREAT mechanic with his own business that has kept the whole family's cars running smoothly for over 35 years and he keeps costs down and is HONEST. And he explains everything in plain english and loves it when I ask questions and the fact that I'm female makes no difference to him. He's a gem, and YES he will get a Christmas bonus from all of us for his work. Unfortunately occasionally I must go to other places for things to get done, and always have to be vigilant for shoddy work.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Good luck proving they damaged your wheel.

Several years ago I bought a new Audi that came with summer tires and I changed to all-seasons, and the tire dealer put a gouge in all four wheels because they used their "puller" tool to rip off the valve stems.

I complained, and the manager simply said "those marks were there when you brought it in or were due to road damage - can you prove otherwise?"

Now every time I take a car to a tire shop I make the manager come out and inspect the wheels, and get him to sign a form stating that the wheels are not cosmetically damaged before I will allow them to work on them.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Off with their Heads!!!!
No Seriously I would raise Holly H3ll On that. You must be a nice guy.. SOme idiot hand me a snapped off wheel stud, I probably would have went ballistic on the tech.
thats proof they did the damage.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I had a similar issue. An off road shop gouged all 5 of my alloys. They already had some rock rash but this was minimal compared to what the shop did. The shop owner didn't care much about the damage and was kinda rude. We came to a crappy agreement and I took it b/c I knew it was all that I was going to get b/c I was already at the top of the food chain. I walked away unhappy and I won't ever go back there for labor. It's amazing what some people will do. With my companies if I or anyone that works for me EVER makes a mistake I immediately point it out and make the situation 200% correct. The bad publicity you will receive by saving a few dollars and not making the situation right is not worth it.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I don't know about how the shops are where y'all live, but i ask politely if i can be in the shop to make sure things are done right and i have never been told no. If they would tell me that i could not watch them to make sure they did the job correctly, i would take my business elsewhere.

I also usually tip the person working on my vehicle for putting up with all of my very detailed, specific requests.
Exactly what I do also. Although I got pretty dirty helping out with the Linex :rofl:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I thought you were not allowed in the mechanics area due to liability concerns? That's the way it is here.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Might be to late but when I take my FJ in I tell them to be careful and not to scratch my rims. I had the same problems but they took care of problem. Stay on them you paid good money for those rims.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm of the opinion that they need to, quite simply, give you back a vehicle in the same condition you gave it to them (less the new rubber of course). If they damaged the rims, they need to fix them to your satisfaction or replace them - it's the right way to do business, period.

Sorry to hear about this situation...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good luck proving they damaged your wheel.

Several years ago I bought a new Audi that came with summer tires and I changed to all-seasons, and the tire dealer put a gouge in all four wheels because they used their "puller" tool to rip off the valve stems.

I complained, and the manager simply said "those marks were there when you brought it in or were due to road damage - can you prove otherwise?"

Now every time I take a car to a tire shop I make the manager come out and inspect the wheels, and get him to sign a form stating that the wheels are not cosmetically damaged before I will allow them to work on them.
Great point Bill. This was the case here, as the burden of proof was on me. The manager inspected the damage that I found on each which was small, but caused by NTB. His general lack of concern for my complaint was made clear, and no attempt was made to make me a happy customer. So basically, I had to grab my ankles during this visit, but I've found in the past that a well articulated letter to the company will usually prompt some sort of action. That being said, I do appreciate the helpful responses and wish each of you the best of luck in the future and to heed Bill's advice to get a 'no damage' report prior to any services.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I went over to a local tire and wheel shop to have new Nitto's installed on my stock wheels. The service tech came in and had a lug that had the stud still in the lug nut and you could spin it out easy, it was not cross threaded. It was done while he was torquing and he made note that it felt soft when he went to get it to the proper torque. He asked if I had a warranty still on my ride and I told him I did, I have a 2010. He said Toyota would replace no problem and he was right. My dealer never questioned it. Almost like he had seen it before on others.

·
Registered
535 Posts
this is some bad luck you guys have. I don't know what I would do if something like this happened. I would probably turn green.....then I would probably SMASH something!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts