Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am looking into buying some Mickey Thompson MTZs asap. Wanted the biggest that would fit on my '07 stock 17" rims, and unfortunatly there is not a lift or any other alterations to my "short bus" in the near future so i have to deal with what i have. I really like the 33x12.50s but from what I read here the risk of rubbing is too high (i would still like to be able to make left turns haha), so then there are the 33x11.5's (285/70/r17) and thats where my question starts.. being an inch smaller will i have any issues you think? It's a little bigger then the 265/70/17Rs that I have on now, and that's what I'm looking for. Something bigger thats not going to compromise my driving. However, I am a bit confused cause the 33x12.50s are bigger and seem to be cheaper on the sites I've been looking at. It doesnt make sense to me that the 11.5" would be more costly then the 12.5" so i must be missing something there?? I am very green when it comes to this stuff, so any info or opinions would be great! I am also wondering if a tire, of that size, will fit on my hatch where the spare is? It doesnt look like there is too much room between what I have on there now and the bumper. I have been rocking Mickey Thompson MTXs for the life of my FJ so far, and I love them! They have lasted me
75K! AMAZING! But they are more of an AT, as opposed to the Muds I'm looking at now, so I'm not sure I'm going to have the same luck this time around. Thoughts? So there are a few questions in there. Any help will be much appreciated!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok.. So I did more research and I feel like I have my answer.. 285s will
Most likely rub at times.. So I looked into the body mount chop.. Sounds reasonably in expensive but finding a place that will do it or even knowing what I'm referring to is another story. Does anyone have any idea where a person can get this done? I'm located on the Jersey Shore (not like from MTV.. I'm not a fist pumping guido) one of the places I talked to looked at me like I was crazy when i told him about the chop but suggested spacers.. I have seen this mentioned on the boards but haven't heard much. Is this an option? He said he could do 1-4" depending on what I needed.. I figured 2" would work? But I really have no clue what I'm talking about so... I turn to FJcruiserForums haha I would assume if it worked I would be suggested more often but I figured I'd though it out there and see what you guys thought.. Need to get these tires soon but I before I spend over a grand I want to be sure they are what I want.. The 265s are pretty bad ass too thanks in advance for your opinions and help

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't own an FJ yet, but I do have TOYO Open Country Mud Terrains,
285-75-R16's on my Dodge Diesel and they are awesome, look aggressive, yet fairly quiet, and balance out beautifully !

You can check out the sizes on Tiresdirect.com

they show the 295-70-R17 being the same size as my 16's....33x11.50R17...I'm assuming thats correct...and load range "E"....heavy duty.
They look awesome on My 3/4 ton Diesel, so I know they would look great on an FJ....just gotta figure out the rub issue if there is any...otherwise, can't go wrong with the TOYO's.....do a search on them.

RHOPPE

1 - 3 of 3 Posts