Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to the Fj scene. I have a 2010 stock fj and I am planning to install a 3 inch lift. I am thinking about 285/70 17 up 285/75 or 295/70 tire. My question is at what tire height and weight do you notice a change in performance that the auto transmission will not stay in overdrive at highway speed. Specifically using cruise at 75+. I live in a fairly rural area( flat land) that allows me to set my cruise at 79 mph and transmission does not downshift out of overdrive even on slight hills. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Heavier bigger tire will definitely affect performance but up to 295 you are ok just monitor the transmission temperature and install an oil cooler.Anything bigger and you will need to regear.

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
It is not just diameter but weight. You could throw E-rated mud tires on that are stock size and get that downshifting you are concerned about.

Most go to a 285/70 and are happy. Anything larger and I might be concerned. I think you can get some 285/70's in a C-load rating (KO2?) which would be lighter than the typical heavy E.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
  • Thanks for the help. I’m probably going to go with 285/70 all terrain. I am currently running 285/70 mud tires on my 04 Tundra and can always use them on my fj as needed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have Daystar leveling kit on mine and 295/70/17 Yokohama Geolandar MT's and it's pretty drastic. I miss the power with the stock tires.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
On top of bigger tires killing your mpg a bit if your driving above 70mph your killing your mpg even more. These big bricks weren't meant for good mpg :)

·
Registered
690 Posts
Performance. What’s performance? There is zero doubt, no questions asked unless you like barking up a tree or listening to your self talk, bigger tires provided better off road performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
  • Thanks for the help. I’m probably going to go with 285/70 all terrain. I am currently running 285/70 mud tires on my 04 Tundra and can always use them on my fj as needed.
There’s your answer. Swap the wheels off your Tundra and go set your cruise at 79.

Any change in dia and weight will definitely affect OD with cruise at that speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Vendor
2,543 Posts
I have a 2007 FJ Cruiser with a leveling kit and 285/70R-17 Yokohama Geolandar G003 MT E rated tires and noticed some loss in power along with reduced MPG but it looks great and still rides good. I'm In AZ where we have a lot of big mountains, towing my utility trailer with a RZR 4 can be felt going up the mountains but the FJ does well. I did a BMC as well.

Please let us know if we can help you with your purchase.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Compared to P rated stock size Yokohama GO15 the MT G003 upgrade same size made minimal of an impact on my FJ Cruiser, maybe if I had upgraded to a 285 I would have felt it but I didn't wish to do a BMC and the only lift I have is from the TTUE shockers I have. The MT are just brilliant on hills, tarmac, heavy rains and of course mud and rocks. There are instances where bigger tires would have helped but then we are talking 305 size for any real impact and that would mean a plethora of mods along with it, regear being of prime importance along with other mods.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts