Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this question was asked, but I can't find the answer, so I apologize in advance for the repeat. I looked in the tir/wheel section, but didn't find an answer to this specific question.

Without a lift, what is the largest tire size you can put on the FJ. I have 17" wheels. My guess is 265 or maybe 285s, I would like to use it for off roading, so I don't want them too large to rub.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
547 Posts
well 265 is the stock size. I know that there are people out there runnin 275 and 285 w out a lift, but Im sure they have body mount chops, and I dont know how much room theyve got when wheeling. I would think that you couldnt go full flex w/o a lift though.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I put on the next size up 275/70/17 and have experienced no rubbing issues--and that's without a lift. Sorry can't speak to any off road experience yet.:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,204 Posts
A standard suspension lift (those in the 0-3" range) doesn't change tire accommodation or (appreciably) flex range, it just changes the default ride height within that range. The body mount and fender trim are the biggest tire size limiters up to about 33.5"OD.

·
Registered
191 Posts
in my opinion it depends on the tire as well as the size. some of the Super swampers and other heavy off roading tires in the 265 to 275 range may rub, yet more modest off roaders wont maybe even up to 285. be realistic with tires and get what you need. dont expect a 285 75 17 to work if you want a mud terrain or bogger, but an all terrain or trxus might...its really hard to say with so many tires out there. maybe even a little less sidewall if you dont want more height, sometimes they will rub because of that more than width. i'd love to put another set of thornbirds on mine...after the 3" ome... but i think that all terrains will be adequate, and keep the SE look. just talking out loud...feel free to tell me to shut up! good luck.

·
Registered
380 Posts
i have these (pic below) Procomp Mud Terrains 265/75/16 bought from a member on the forum, and i still rub a lot, thats when i had 4x2 front suspension, now i have 4x4 front suspension, lifted probably a good 1" to 1.5" or less and now i rub a tad bit. no body chop here, its just eating up the mudflaps.

hope that helps! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the replies, based on what has been written it seems that I should probably go with 265 AT tires. I was planning on the AT type of tire as this is my main car as well as off road vehicle and this provides a pretty good balance for what I would like.

I believe this will accommodate better off road traction and highway driving. I will look into larger tires when I better understand all the pros and cons of what it takes to prepare the vehicle to take them.

Thanks again

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
With stock wheels you should be able to use anything in the AT market between 265 or 275(rare size). You may get some rubbing with the 285. As many will tell you on here it all depends on what you plan to do with the truck. You would be fine if you are sticking to on road....But off-road where suspension flex may occur you may experience some body mount rub with the 285.

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that Rucka's rubbing problem is due to the offset of his aftermarket steel wheels.....IMO....Being a 4X2 may play into it also I suppose. But that looks like alot of lip on those wheels and that spells offset issues for the FJ.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
265/70/17 = 31.7"

255/75/17 = 32" No rub at all!! If your buying an aggressive tread pattern these would look groovy!!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
It depends....

on the tire size and tread aggressiveness, wheel size and backspacing, lift brand and size.

For example.....some with tires smaller than mine require a chop with a lift. Some with tires larger than mine required no chop. So can tell you what i am running and what I have noticed over the past couple months...

2008 FJ
Toytec 3" lift by Old Man Emu. Toytec adds a billet 1/2" new coilover mount for strut in front to make sure you get a full 3" of lift in front and rear. The OME by themselves are only 2.5" in front once all is said and done. I kept stock shocks in rear and struts in front and only bought the kit with springs from ToyTec. It cost me an inch or two of wheel articulation under extreme angles but 99% of the time it wont be an issue and I can add the OME shocks and struts next year when money is not tight from mods and new truck.

I have 17" oem Alloy Wheels from factory.

I put on Nitto Terra Grapplers, 295x70x17 on all 5 wheels.

First try, was tires with NO LIFT....stock suspension 2 days after buying FJ. No rub on highway but offroad or when turning into my driveway it would rub the rubber spot sticking out in fenderwell from body mount.

Second try, added Toytec lift mentioned above. No more rubbing of body mount...so did not go to step three and chope the frame like others have had to do. I have had her up and down 40% grades with no rubbing....two wheels up and two down on opposite corners...so far so good. I am sure if I do some tougher trails it might rub but so far nothing so wont chop until I find I need to do it. That is just me.

Only thing I am workign with now is slight rubbing of passenger UCA from sidewall. I have four options:
1- get rid of new tires and go down to 285 size.....NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.
2- buy new wheels with more backspacing to add another 1/2" of clearance....not going to happen this year.
3- buy spidertrax wheel spacers....to give me more clearance...reinstall wheels and tires and forget about it. Option that many have used with great success.
4- buy new UCA from Total Chaos, Cambridge, All-Pro, etc....helps with proper alignment as well as giving more clearance from sidewall rubbing. My preferred choice but not cheap.

So here you go.....wheels used, tires wanted, suspension installed, mods added to suspension, etc all play into the WILL IT FIT PUZZLE. You got to compare apples to apples though. So find out what tires you like or want.....then find someone with same wheels you have on your FJ or want to put on....then find out which suspension does not rub or just do the chop and dont worry about any of it. LOL

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I would stay with 265's if you are using the stock wheels and/or use it as a daily driver. Most likely any tire you buy in that size won't rub (with the stock wheel). I'm not sure there's a lot to be gained by going up a size or two anyhow. JMHO and others will disagree.. Ron

I am sure this question was asked, but I can't find the answer, so I apologize in advance for the repeat. I looked in the tir/wheel section, but didn't find an answer to this specific question.

Without a lift, what is the largest tire size you can put on the FJ. I have 17" wheels. My guess is 265 or maybe 285s, I would like to use it for off roading, so I don't want them too large to rub.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i might agree with you on this.....with price of fuel and other things...I might have gotten 265 tire in more aggressive tread.....still added lift and called it done. Not sure what the extra ince of tire gave me as a more aggressive tread and tire profile will do a lot for looks and capability...and suspension lift handles rest of that combination.

good advice me thinks...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts