Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been scouting around the forums but to no avail. I was looking for some advice on a few things.
1) Should I get 33 or 35 inch tires (looking for opinions based on people’s experience)

2)I’m not looking to break the bank on rims, but should I get 33 or 35 inch tires on a 16 or 17 inch rim? I currently have the 16 inch alloy rims on my 2008 FJ and if I don’t need to buy new rims right now I won’t but if I need to I would like some decent options that aren’t outrageous.

3)Obviously if I get the 35 inch tires I would need a 3 inch lift at least, but if I got 33 inch tires I see a lot of conflicting answers on which 33s and if I should go with 33 inch tires on 17 inch rims and if that helps with rubbing? Should I get the 33 inch tires and then decide on getting a 3 inch lift after or should I just go ahead and save myself the hassle and get the 3 inch lift with the 33 inch tires?

really just looking for some up to date opinions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is a off road ride or show ride?
I mainly drive on the road, but I do plan on needing tires for off-road use. I guess I should have clarified but I’m looking at all terrain tires since most of my driving is on the road and even when I’m traveling I don’t go off road unless I have to. I guess you could say it’s a show ride since none of the off road I would do is extremely strenuous anyways

·
Registered
192 Posts
I run 33” Nitto Terra Grapplers, 285/70/17, on stock rims and Bilstein 5100’s set to the third notch. I have no problems. It’s awesome off road too.

Reactions: stephous

·
Registered
2012 FJC 6spd Manual
60 Posts
1. Only you know what you should and shouldn't do. I will say, I've been running 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2's since May, which measure 33.9" according to their website, and I've already decided the next time I need tires I'm going 35" M/T's.

2. Run the 16s.

3. There's a lot of conflicting info on fitment because there are a lot factors to consider beyond lift and tire size. If you don't wanna get into the weeds of wheel specs, just copy someone's set up that you know works. Here's a link to the my fitment saga: The @FJ.bangbang Gun Truck Build Thread

Good luck and show us what you decide one when you're done!

·
Registered
491 Posts
285/75-16's will fit on your stock rims, be over an inch taller and put 9% more tread on the ground than the stock 265/75's. They'll be easier to fit than 12 1/2x 33's, which are over 1" wider, so without a lift, uca's and bmc don't go there. IIrc there have been people here reporting that the 285's fit on their FJ's with no work whatsoever on a stock truck, but that's certainly not been everyone's experience and every truck seems to be just that little bit different, so you'll have to see. 35's require the bmc, lift and uca's and more (hammering the body seam in the rear of the fenderwells flat, in some cases recontouring the fenderwells where the tires touch and ???) to make them work, so if you're really set on 35's be prepared.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve been scouting around the forums but to no avail. I was looking for some advice on a few things.
1) Should I get 33 or 35 inch tires (looking for opinions based on people’s experience)

2)I’m not looking to break the bank on rims, but should I get 33 or 35 inch tires on a 16 or 17 inch rim? I currently have the 16 inch alloy rims on my 2008 FJ and if I don’t need to buy new rims right now I won’t but if I need to I would like some decent options that aren’t outrageous.

3)Obviously if I get the 35 inch tires I would need a 3 inch lift at least, but if I got 33 inch tires I see a lot of conflicting answers on which 33s and if I should go with 33 inch tires on 17 inch rims and if that helps with rubbing? Should I get the 33 inch tires and then decide on getting a 3 inch lift after or should I just go ahead and save myself the hassle and get the 3 inch lift with the 33 inch tires?

I am running nitto's 295-70-17 on stock 2012 wheels. No Lift No BMC I did have the alinement shop move the caster to +3.5 max is 4. And trimmed just a bit of plastic.
295-70-17=33.3 tall. Works like a charm!

·
Registered
281 Posts

What are your expectations? Are you running a AT or MT? What lift are you going to install? How do you want your truck to handle? Acceleration? Just for Looks? Any off road use or just dirt roads?

1. If you go with 35 inch tires you will need to re-gear and do other modifications to overcome that much tire. The list is long.
2. If you go with 33" tires you can get away with a 2.75" lift on 16" wheels, new control arms, springs and shocks

Big mud tires weigh more than all terrains and require more torque to overcome rolling resistance. If your on the highway most of the time go for a smaller tire, not a giant mudder.

My FJ with 305x70x16 General Grabbers for sand.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Automotive carrying rack

Reactions: cmunozs
1 - 10 of 10 Posts