Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Re: spare tire spacer for bigger tires?

i'm pretty sure i need one. what kind and where do i find them? what i have seen are tire carriers but, dont want to spend that kind of money. any options? thanks
Why do you need a spacer for this? The only clearance issues are the window and the bumper. A spacer will not help you clear the bumper unless it is huge. If you are putting a spacer and a much larger tire on the rear spare mount, i think you are putting a lot of stress that the carrier was not designed for.
What size tire are you trying to mount. I have a 285 on there with about an inch of room from the bumper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

thanks for the reply. i would like to put 35"x12.5" to match what will be on the rest of the vehicle. so my options are not putting one and leaving the factory set up or purchasing a tire carrier?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

I believe if I had the problem, I would mount a matching spare in the rear cargo area and fab a standard tire cover into a fuel can or cargo carrier. That way it would look normal and still have a matching spare.. Just a thought.. Ron

thanks for the reply. i would like to put 35"x12.5" to match what will be on the rest of the vehicle. so my options are not putting one and leaving the factory set up or purchasing a tire carrier?

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts

I have 285s as well. No spacer problems. I would post up in the wheel/tire forum as I do believe we have a few folks running 35" tires.

Kim

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts

I have 285s as well. No spacer problems. I would post up in the wheel/tire forum as I do believe we have a few folks running 35" tires.

Kim
Kim, don't you have those super powers to move this to that sections?

(Thanks for the pm offer. I don't see anything i need in the near future though.)

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts

Kim, don't you have those super powers to move this to that sections?

(Thanks for the pm offer. I don't see anything i need in the near future though.)
Layton, I have never tried to use my "super powers"!!!! I am not quite sure what I can do yet!

Kim:boohoo:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts