Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. Just picked up a set of the 17" Alloys to put some bigger tires on. I have some (close to free) BFG MT 285/75/17s I'm gonna pick up today. Now, the question is, what can I get away with for suspension?

I've been looking at everything from spacers to Bilstein 5100s, to OME setup.

I don't rock climb, but do get offroad in the mud and A LOT of beach driving on un maintained beaches. There may be a rare occasion that I have to get over some granite, but it will be rare. Given the wheel/tire setup which suspension setup would work best for me, and do I need to look at wheel spacers? I'm hoping someone has something similar to this that can help....

Thanks,
-Chip

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
definitely go with the OME or better. For your use, the OME kit should be more than you;ll ever need.

If you want a very high quality setup, I vote for ICON all the way. You'll probably need to do the body mount chop to prevent rubbing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Yeah, I was thinking the OMEs would be the best way to go. I'm not familiar with the ICON setup. What all does it entail?

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Its a tuff decision. I know I spent many hours pouring over all the posts on here about the different options and in the end it boils down to your choice. I myself went with the SAW/OME Hybrid setup from Metal Tech and have so far been very happy. Personally I would stay away from spacers and if $$ is a concern then OME's would be your choice. Many members have the OME setup and have had miles of excellant service from them. If $$ is not a concern then the next step would be the varied coil/overs that are offered. Have fun researching as that is all part of the modding process.

IMHO

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Yeah, I've been doing a bunch of research, but then I just end up confusing myself and double guessing my decisions. I guess I need to hunker down and make some calls.

How difficult was the SAW/OME install? I've been looking at that also. The full on coilovers with reservoirs is overkill for anything I'll be doing, but the SAWs look nice and might be a good compromise. I'm not worried about the skil level, just the time involved.

-Chip

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks. Yeah, I've been doing a bunch of research, but then I just end up confusing myself and double guessing my decisions. I guess I need to hunker down and make some calls.

How difficult was the SAW/OME install? I've been looking at that also. The full on coilovers with reservoirs is overkill for anything I'll be doing, but the SAWs look nice and might be a good compromise. I'm not worried about the skil level, just the time involved.

-Chip
I just installed my SAW's today. It's really not that difficult but you are going to need some help with the install. You need to sets of hands to do it. It took me about 5 hours for the front and rear but that was by myself for the first 3 hrs.

I just test drove it and felt a difference. It's a smooth ride and it feels great.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
So far the Icon/DR setup has worked really well for me, as for spacers some Spidertrax spacers should do the job, but you will need to a body mount chop!!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Install took me about 4 hrs by myself. I guess 2 pairs of hands would help a bit but I really didn't find it that hard and sometimes the other pairs of hands just get in the way. Ummmm but if they are there to hand ya beer then yeh you need them. LOL

:cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts