Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is always a compromise between and aggressive tire for off road and highway tire. Our experience in Costa Rica has taken most off road raiders to simply have two sets of tires, the AT tires for road use (and light off road), and when the Road ends you replace your tires right there for tractor tires. No street legal tire comes even close to a tractor tire for mud. However, carrying and extra set of tires is already a pain and changing them back, AFTER you have been winching and driving all day is a tough job (done by the spotter and co-pilot of course). So, one alternative we use very often, if the mud is not too bad, is to use chains instead. They are easier to place and to take off. My question is, are you allowed to use chains or tractor tires for mud in the US? Those that have been at the Cliffs in IL, do you know if they allow tire chains?
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have seen chains used for mud here in Wyoming a couple of times, and it seems to work well. Keep in mind the mud here is usually no more than ten inches deep or so, with a hard base underneath. Then chains tend to bite into the hard dirt underneath the mud and give you traction that most tires could not give you. As far as roads with bottomless mud holes, I could not tell you if chains would work or not.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Buy some super swampers. No need for chains. I have a pair of LTB's that i run for just trails.
I laugh at mud.

And i am talking about swampy Louisiana mud

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I had thought about it, but that was about all.

Personally, I think there might be a clearance issue, especially since I put on the 285s. lol

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Buy some super swampers. No need for chains. I have a pair of LTB's that i run for just trails.
I laugh at mud.

And i am talking about swampy Louisiana mud
Yes the super swampers are a good option. I will keep two sets of tires though, because as I mentioned above, I don't like the trade in with highway manners and I do like to take long trips too.
Hummm, maybe I will carry my swampers around in a trailer, just in case.:rofl:

Now, seriously, thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Or you could buy mts they dont wear that fast were talking like 40k for mud tires thats alot the toyos will probably get me close to 50k.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
i used to run swampers on a previous vehicle and it was impervious to anything mud wasnt even an obstacle but more something to fling around and have fun in

1 - 7 of 7 Posts