Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I have been a member of the forum for the past 2 years (since I got my 2009 4x4 auto, grey FJ), but this remains my first blogging entry.

Now that I need a new set of tires ( ran the stock Dunlop for 50,000M), I have decided to make 2 simple changes:
- paint the rims in mat black
- paint all pumper and body silver parts in black as well
(going for the trail teams look in away)

The biggest question though is what kind of tires I should go for given:
- I live in Qatar where FJ is my daily driver with seasonal but serious sand dune bashing.
- I am on the high way often.
- I use the car with my family and my wife drives it quit regularly as well.
- limit availability of tire brands in this part of the world.

I now have limited my options to the below tires orderly:
1. Falken s/tz04 275/70/16 (anyone running these? I am offered a very good deal on them) Tires - Ziex S/TZ04 - Falken Tire

2. Michelin LTX AT2 265/70/16 (very good reviews but expensive)

3. BFGoodrich 265/75/16 (really wanted the 285 but will rub) this was my first n only option but I hear it was a bit noisy on the high way, heavy and doesn't really do well on soft sand dunes - I love their. Looks though :boohoo:

That's all for me.. I would really appreciate your input..

Thanks

·
Registered
837 Posts
I heard the Falken and Nitto tires are made by the same people and have very similar tread patterns. I'm also looking at getting new tires, and I'm looking at the Nittos. I'm not sure what would be the best tire for you though. If you could get them, maybe the Nitto Dune Grapplers would be a good choice. They look cool to. Good luck.

Also on a side note, is Qatar pronounced cuh-tar or cutter? haha sorry thats a random question.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would say that you should go with the BFG's... I have wheeled a bit out there and the Land CruiseR I was in (Running BFGs) Did way better than the other rigs that day

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
I run the Falken Rocky Mountain ATS which is a little more aggressive than the ones you mentioned. IMHO the Falken line is a good value. I use them as daily driving and wheeling. I was really surprised by their good performance in all situations.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all guys for your feedback.

Unfortunately I have no excess to either Nitto (only shipped) nor BFG (stock size is out of stock and they don't manufacture the 275s).

I think I will go for the Falken one n let you know how they run ..

Thanks again from Qatar/Cuttar ;)

·
Registered
952 Posts
Stick with the BFG AT (stock size)... trail tested and time proven

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
If you are looking at the Michelin then concider the Yokohama Geolander A/T S. The Michelin's show to be $185 a tire while the Yokohama's run $144 a tire. (Tirerack.com) I have run the crap out of my Yokos. I have been to the Summit twice and wheeled all over Texas. I'm sitting with 36K on them and they still have 6/32. It is a great tire for a good price. I would get them again if I wasn't in the market for a MT.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I really have no opinion as to which tire or size to run. I am just asking that you post some pictures when you can. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Guys

Thank you all for the advice. Cashunutz - Thanks for the efforts and price research, may be I will go for the Yokos next time :bigthumb:

Here are some photos:

[/url][/IMG]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts