Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my 07 FJ and pretty stoked about it... it already had a 3 in RevTek lift and some deep treaded Toyo off road tires... the tires are normal factory size though. Looks pretty good but lots of room for bigger tires.

However the gas mileage was underwhelming... it performed less than the lowest quoted (about 15 mpg)... I'm guessing the off road tires have an impact?

What are other people experience with different treads or bigger tires for that matter.

Secondly - (I'm sure there are lots of debates on this) - are you sticking with the 91 + rated octane gas.... and if not, any impact on performance

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Before my lift and tires iwas getting the manufacures MPG rating. I put on a 3" lift with 17" -12.50 -33" with 17x9 rims. Mileage went down from 21 on the highway to around 16. I have off road lights, with my highlift jack and shovel and axe mount mounted on my roof rack, and other than i little bit of wind noise they didn't affect my mileage. But yes, the more rotating mass you have (whitch mot off road ties will have) the worse it will be on gas.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Heavier tire = less fuel economy, less acceleration, more braking distance required to stop, faster wearing brake pads.

But also a sweeter looking ride.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Rules of thumbs:

Oversized tires: minus 1-2mpg
Roof rack: minus 1-2mpg
Additional weight: minus 1-2mpg per 300lbs

When I run the rig clean with road tires and minimal weight I get 19-21 on the highway, but loaded for a run: 15-17 highway. I won't mention city driving since it's too depressing.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
it seems to vary greatly mine is 08 with offroad package still stock everything outside and the best i got was 16.5 MPG granted it only has 1700 miles on it maybe it nots broken in totally yet?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I was averaging 19 mpg around town, back and forth to work. Since I modded mine, I have seen mixed results. I added an OME 3" lift, stock 265/70R17 Pro Comp Extreme Mud Terrains, plus All Pro front and rear bumpers, plus a Warn winch and All Pro skids. My first 4 tanks since the mods have been 15.9, 15.6, 17 and 17.7.

I am filling up again this weekend to get an average of 5 tanks, then I am going to run an OEM set of tires and wheels I bought from this forum and see what happens for the next 5 tanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
12.46 mpg with 6 inch rc lift 35" mud grappler and trd cai trd exhaust.... SUX.. but worth it!:rocker::rocker:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just my picked up my FJ a week ago and was also wondering about gas mileage. Right now I'm really getting poor gas mileage and I've seen that other owners say wait till you break in your engine. When does that usually occure?

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
12.46 mpg with 6 inch rc lift 35" mud grappler and trd cai trd exhaust.... SUX.. but worth it!:rocker::rocker:
Yeah! me too!!!:rocker:

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I just my picked up my FJ a week ago and was also wondering about gas mileage. Right now I'm really getting poor gas mileage and I've seen that other owners say wait till you break in your engine. When does that usually occure?
Never!!!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I was getting 17 mpg when stock (manual awd) after the 3" lift, 34" maxxis Bighorns I'm still getting 17mpg around town and highway, stop and go and off road I take a huge hit though. I have always run 93 octane witch helps a lot, but from what I've read the gearing in the manual is the big plus. The autos get bet better mpg when stock because of their part time 4wd and higher gears, but once you throw on bigger heavier tires and weigh them down with accessories the mpg takes a huge nose dive.
The brand of tire also has a huge impact on this too. For some reason I've seen people running the BF ATs get worse mileage then some one running a certain brand mud tire, at the same time I've seen people running Goodyear MTRs take a huge hit.
If your going to add weight and big tires, gearing is the best way to offset it. Also doing a little research on tires will help too and engine performance is always a good idea, higher octane, CAI, larger exhaust.
A big one that is over looked too is tire pressure, if I run mine at 35psi I get 17 mpg, but if I drop them to 32 psi I start to getting high 15's.
Theirs a lot more to picking a tire then just looks :)

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I have 3" lift, 285 BFG AT, full set of Bud Built skids, roof rack. Get 17.5 on average. I drive with a light foot most of the time though. I run Super Unleaded fuel all the time. I have a load rating D tire and run 55 psi on the street.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts