Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought my FJ that has stock tires on 17" alloy rims. R265/70/17.

I see some changing out to 16" rims and wanted to know what the advantage is.

I want to put some AT tires on, so, if I stay with the 17" rims, what is the widest tire I can put on without having to do any mods to the wheel wells....OR.....are there recommendations to give a newbie in CO who wants to stay out of tire trouble in the mountains?

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
With no modifications (Body mount chop)

for 17s. you can go 285/70/17 or 255/80/17 (pizza cutters) Pizza cutters are only available in certain tires... would be a MT i believe...

for 16s you can go 285/75/16 or 255/85/16

Advantage to 16s are a little more sidewall while offroading, and usually a little cheaper tires. Though some tires available in a 17 may not be in a 16 and vice-versa. usually comes down to preference in the end. There are a lot of 16s that will not fit over the large brakes on the FJ...namely 16" steel wheels.

There are probably a handful of the same inquiries posted every day. Search until your brain hurts!! :)

·
Premium Member
4,706 Posts
If total tire diameter is ~33 inches, then going from 17 down to 16 inch wheels gets you an extra inch (total, half an inch on each side) of tire sidewall. You get a little bit of extra flexibility and flex before you hit your wheels, but honestly I wouldn't worry about it. The difference is marginal, a lot of FJ people offroad with 17-inch wheels and never have any problems. If your FJ came with 20-inch wheels, it would be a different story...

I'm running 285/75R16 Duratrac's on 16-inch TRD wheels with a 3-inch OME lift with no rubbing, so that's ~32.8 inches diameter by ~11 inches wide. A lot of people run right at 33 inches with no rubbing, so that's your safest bet.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Welcome and Congrats :wave:

Are you still planning on the FJ Summit..?
All good points above, I kept the stock rims and upgraded the tires.

Pics in "my garage"

:cheers:

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
Also the stock rims are usually lighter than many of the aftermarket offerings.

Wheel and tire weight can really hit your gas mileage, along with the obvious size and tread hit.

And if you are only bumping up one size the 7.5" stock rim width does well. A lot of aftermarket 17s for example, tend to be 9" wide....More than you need really

·
Premium Member
16,453 Posts
With no modifications (Body mount chop)

for 17s. you can go 285/70/17 or 255/80/17 (pizza cutters) Pizza cutters are only available in certain tires... would be a MT i believe...

for 16s you can go 285/75/16 or 255/85/16

Advantage to 16s are a little more sidewall while offroading, and usually a little cheaper tires. Though some tires available in a 17 may not be in a 16 and vice-versa. usually comes down to preference in the end. There are a lot of 16s that will not fit over the large brakes on the FJ...namely 16" steel wheels.

There are probably a handful of the same inquiries posted every day. Search until your brain hurts!! :)
I agree! :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input and help. I think I'll have a look at the 285's as I want to get into the sand near Moab too.

Cheers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts