Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah right....lol

I have the SE Toyota BBS made alloys that A. SUCK, B. Are miserable to balance...

I currently have Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70R17's on them, but had one TG go bad - out of round. I'm now looking for some tires that are not $290 each as funds are tighter than tight. My first thought was to get 16" black stock Toyota steelies and cheaper/more readily available tires...that didn't hold well as even the 16" tires are pricey.

Any ideas?? I found some Wrangler AT/S tires for like $140 at TireRack in 275/70R17 that are readily available, couse shipping is about $27 a tire, but still everything comes out way cheaper in the long run that way. I'd mount them myself and just have them balanced locally for like $8 a tire. So I'd have about $175 a tire in them.

I hate these rims and want to go to steel rims when cash allows for ease of straightening them if I happen to ding one off roading and also these SE Toyota BBS rims are just the pits, you would not BELIEVE how much weight is on these to get them balanced...

So anyone know of any cheaper ideas? I think I'm a king of scouring the net and stuff for deals, but even used tires on Ebay that have good tread are only slightly cheaper than the Wranglers at new price. For some reason I just remember tires being cheaper at some point, not my Nittos of course, but others...

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I often see stock steelies on Craigslist for $200 or less for all 5. You could easily sell your current wheels for more than that (assuming you don't tell too many people how bad they are) and end up making money on the wheels. With tires, the Nitto's are one of the more affordable tires. I love my Kumho's but they only come in the stock size and 35's. I think the problem is that most full size trucks run the same tire sizes we do and because of that, it's hard to find any deals when there is such a demand for them.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Heck, if you're quick there's a set of steelies in the 'for sale' section only two hours from you for $150.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't see where you're finding those rims on Craigslist? I really don't look much on there, but there's no good way to search other than your local area that I can find...

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts