1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2011 fj
I am finally ready to start upgrading my FJ
I can't believe it is taken me this long
I was hoping to get some suggestions on tires wheels a lift kit and a winch - i'm going to be mostly dirt and rock occasional sand I'd like to put some bigger tires than stock. Not sure if I want a 2 inch or 4 inch lift looks good
I've been saving my money for a few years so I'm kind of excited and I want to put only good stuff on it .
I went to the local 4x4 shop and left disappointed with the salesman they had there but not for much information
Thanks big Ed.

·
Registered
517 Posts
2011 fj
I am finally ready to start upgrading my FJ
I can't believe it is taken me this long
I was hoping to get some suggestions on tires wheels a lift kit and a winch - i'm going to be mostly dirt and rock occasional sand I'd like to put some bigger tires than stock. Not sure if I want a 2 inch or 4 inch lift orange looks good
I've been saving my money for a few years so I'm kind of excited and I want to put only good stuff on it .
I went to the local 4x4 shop and left disappointed with the salesman they had there but not for much information
Thanks big Ed.
Lots of information and ideas on this forum.as well as experiance on what works and what doesn't.......keep looking at what others have done and you will fiqure out what you want to do.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
This is a pretty good deal on whatever tires you get. $100 off every $400 you spend on tires. Can do two separate transactions and get $100 off each purchase of two tires.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/discount-tire-direct-ebay-store-coupon-100-off-400-expires-october-31.456256/

On lifts, there is a whole thread on comparing lifts. I recommend going with adjustable front coilovers that allow you to infinitely adjust the height. Typical FJ lift is no more than 3". Havent heard of a 4" lift. To level out the FJ, you usually need 2" lift in rear and 3" or so in front. Can typically run LT285/70/R17 with 3" lift or LT285/75/R16. You will get lots of opinions on tires.

Also recommend buying 5 tires and use your spare in the rotation.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Lots of info here to go over and help with the decisions. +1 on reading the "first $2000" list, though prices may have changed some. I mostly drive on dirt/rock/gravel trails in Nat'l Parks and Forests plus some Moab stuff so I know where you are coming from. FOR ME, I went sliders first (not too expensive, easiest item for owner-installation), Demello front bumper (not quite necessary I guess, but this was a "want" item), tires (Duratracs, but I'm sure there are several others that work equally/better/cheaper/etc. I like Discount Tires for price/service/availability, then the big ticket item Toytec BOSS 3" lift system (again, other brands to consider but I'm not bombing over sand dunes, racing in the desert, Toytec seems to have a decent reliability/guarantee/track record type reputation). I also recommend the adjustable coil over style and specifically saved for this item for a while to get what I felt would do me for a long while rather than spend $600-$800 on something that would not satisfy my needs over the long run. Since then, I have added rear lower control arms with LCA and lower shock skids, plus a set of Ricochet armor picked up in Salt Lake for a lot less than a shipped set. Notice that I have not added the ever-popular winch so far, as I felt that the other items were really more important than a winch. Also, I have not yet decided whether or not I need to add a second battery if I add a winch, and that should come first (in my mind) if so. All of this stuff adds up to some $, and each of us has a different financial situation with different financial needs. I'm older, with a paid-for home and cars and son grown and gone, so it was easier for me. I always felt that building up my FJ was a "toy" or "play" situation rather than a "necessity" so I saved left over cash as I went along and added pieces as I was able to without impacting our daily life. Read up in the various sub forums and ask questions, then make a decision knowing that half of the other guys are gonna say "why did you do that, brand X is so much better". Your FJ, your $, your call.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts