Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, guessing I need to upgrade my skids from factory. Been looking around and searching and reading and just cannot find what I am looking for. So I will just ask. What kind of luck is anyone having with the ARB skid kits? I won’t be in rocks a lot but will find myself on them from time to time. Like the price but worry about the thickness. Also have the 1” diff drop so will they fit? Also been looking at the Bud Built stuff and similar. Love the comparison write up on here, but looking for experience to help put me in the right path. My concerns are durability V/S weight with a dash of cost. Guidance please.

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
I still have the stock skid too. I've been looking and waffling and haven't pulled the trigger. It helps with the wallet, when I want (not need) something new I just tell myself that I need skids more. Not a crawler, just need protection to keep branches etc out of the innards. Jade didn't come with the bash plate.

One question, I must have missed a post or something, when did the diff drop happen?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still have the stock skid too. I've been looking and waffling and haven't pulled the trigger. It helps with the wallet, when I want (not need) something new I just tell myself that I need skids more. Not a crawler, just need protection to keep branches etc out of the innards. Jade didn't come with the bash plate.

One question, I must have missed a post or something, when did the diff drop happen?
Did the diff drop when I installed the lift.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
I am planning on getting the ARB skids eventually. I have been running the OG Ricochet aluminum ones for the past 7 or 8 years (the ones that go over the factory ones). I think even being lighter steel, the ARBs would hold up just fine. I like the minimal but decent protection they seem to offer, and all the holes to keep excessive dirt and mud from piling up.

I am dead sick of bolting the Ricochets on over the OEMs lol. I do have a TG transfer skid and the thing is a BEAST so having that extra mid-protection I could hang on a boulder is nice.

With a diff drop you will probably just have to use longer bolts and maybe spacers, but doing so makes them a lot weaker. These Ricochet ones have those spacer sleeves and I have been bending bolts forever with them. Then again, I think diff drops are pointless...whatever you gained in lift, you killed with the drop.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm running the ARB aluminum skids with the ARB bull bar. I like the fit and have dropped them on a couple of rocks. This summer, fully loaded for camping, I drug them over several stumps and you can barely see the marks, definitely no bends or kinks. I judge that by how easily they come off when I change the oil.

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
clip I am dead sick of bolting the Ricochets on over the OEMs lol. I do have a TG transfer skid and the thing is a BEAST so having that extra mid-protection I could hang on a boulder is nice. clip
The Ricochet skids currently available bolt on over the existing engine skid?? :huh: I need to do some re-reading

edit: called, the new (HD) version doesn't bolt on over the existing skid, the earlier version did..

·
Registered
150 Posts
No problems so far. I found it to be a good compromise between weight, protection, and price.
One complaint I have, though, is that the cut-out for the oil drain does not actually align with the oil drain (second pic), so you do have to take the skids off to change oil.

I don't have a diff. drop, so can't comment on that.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
ARB skids are 3mm construction, less than 1/8".

Most heavy duty aftermarket skids are 3/16" steel (4.76MM) much stronger and greater mass.

Even with 3/16" plates they warp and bend with use, putting tension against the bolts making it difficult to remove. 1/8th inch pans much more so.

If you don't land on them it's not an issue, but you never know on the trail... and it's a good feeling to know that you can land on them, like a caffeinated toddler on a slipp'n slide.

·
Registered
150 Posts
They are actually slightly thicker than 1/8". But yes, for heavy rock crawling use I would also recommend 3/16". But for "just-in-case" protection, for something like overlanding, I think these are perfectly adequate.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
clip I am dead sick of bolting the Ricochets on over the OEMs lol. I do have a TG transfer skid and the thing is a BEAST so having that extra mid-protection I could hang on a boulder is nice. clip
The Ricochet skids currently available bolt on over the existing engine skid??
I need to do some re-reading

edit: called, the new (HD) version doesn't bolt on over the existing skid, the earlier version did..

Yeah. Had these a LONG time. If anything I guess it is a testament to their durability

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
No problems so far. I found it to be a good compromise between weight, protection, and price.
One complaint I have, though, is that the cut-out for the oil drain does not actually align with the oil drain (second pic), so you do have to take the skids off to change oil.

I don't have a diff. drop, so can't comment on that.

I would take a grinder to that hole. Removing skids to change oil is a deal-breaker.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would take a grinder to that hole. Removing skids to change oil is a deal-breaker.
It was for me too, actually. When I was buying these, the description from ARB said "Panels are easily removed for vehicle servicing and where practical, include access to oil panel drain plugs." So that was pretty disappointing. I considered cutting it, but didn't want to ruin the powder coating. Maybe once I need to repaint the whole thing, I'll cut it. Still, the front skid has to be removed to access the filter either way, so this is just a little bit more work.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Many skids manufacturers (RCI) have model specific plates with access panels that match drain and filter location.

Plate dropping for oil changes is a miss. Consider alignments as well, some plates can stay on other obscure the LCA cams.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Can you tell what we are doing? I was helping my friend bending her ARB skids back to reasonable shape to be able to bolt back after removing for an oil change:laugh

My friend is on OME 2.5" lift and 285/75R16 KO2s. Wheels mostly "blue" rated trails. It's her only daily driver and she cares about the FJ. No serious hard core rock crawling. The ARB skids were so bent it was pressing against the front diff constantly. Once removed we couldn't bolt it back in.

Also, the ARB transfer case skid design is useless. It bolts directly on the transfer case. So all the load is still applied to the transfer case if you hit it. The ARB T-case skid can be a scratch guard at the most. Most other skids has an additional cross member for transfer case skid.

LRM_EXPORT_243406313581246_20190914_194821831.jpg

·
Registered
150 Posts
Can you tell what we are doing? I was helping my friend bending her ARB skids back to reasonable shape to be able to bolt back after removing for an oil change:laugh

My friend is on OME 2.5" lift and 285/75R16 KO2s. Wheels mostly "blue" rated trails. It's her only daily driver and she cares about the FJ. No serious hard core rock crawling. The ARB skids were so bent it was pressing against the front diff constantly. Once removed we couldn't bolt it back in.

Also, the ARB transfer case skid design is useless. It bolts directly on the transfer case. So all the load is still applied to the transfer case if you hit it. The ARB T-case skid can be a scratch guard at the most. Most other skids has an additional cross member for transfer case skid.

View attachment 1094986
Lots of examples of bent 3/16" skids as well. The thickness difference is only about 0.05", after all. I think picking the right line is more important than having thicker skids. :smile
Nice pic though :bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Rust is not funny though. Unless it is?
Rattle can paint like Rustoleum for skids and sliders is easy and effective. The first time you scratch powder-coated material just spray to protect.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Lots of examples of bent 3/16" skids as well. The thickness difference is only about 0.05", after all. I think picking the right line is more important than having thicker skids. /forums/images/FJCruiser2/smilies/tango_face_smile.png
Nice pic though
Lol that's very true, good skills always beat over built gear. My line picking is definitely not good enough and my skids are pretty bashed 😄

As to the thickness vs strength, the difference is not trivial. For a quick simplified look, in bending, stiffness is proportional to thickness cubed. So for 0.1875" vs 0.125", stiffness is (0.1875/0.125)^3=3.375 times. For 0.25" vs 0.125", it would be 8 times as stiff.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts