Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Lol that's very true, good skills always beat over built gear. My line picking is definitely not good enough and my skids are pretty bashed 😄

As to the thickness vs strength, the difference is not trivial. For a quick simplified look, in bending, stiffness is proportional to thickness cubed. So for 0.1875" vs 0.125", stiffness is (0.1875/0.125)^3=3.375 times. For 0.25" vs 0.125", it would be 8 times as stiff.
True (except these are actually .136 -.140, not .125), but stiffness also depends very much on the structure/shape of material. The ARB transmission skid, for example, has a box structure that makes it much stiffer than a comparable plate. Or even a plate twice as thick, probably. Also, a big company like ARB, would've performed the proper structural analysis/FEA in the design of their product, or at least I would've expected them to, whereas some of the other skid manufacturers seem like they're just making stuff in their garage, with no engineering involved. :shrug03:

·
トヨタ Master
5,787 Posts
Ray, how and where do you plan on taking your FJ? I think that and price point would steer me straight as far as skids go. ARBs are going to be decent protection for the average off roader. RCI, BudBuilt, Ricochet, etc have pretty good sets(it's cheaper this way) than the majority of the cheaper ones, but you're going to pay for that extra weight and protection. I've used RCI, Ricochet, and All Pro in the past with varied differences on different platforms. There are quite a few threads on the discussion in here, so take the time to research some and get an idea of which might suit you, your FJ, and your wallet best. They all have individual pros and cons. :cheers:

·
トヨタ Master
5,787 Posts
True (except these are actually .136 -.140, not .125), but stiffness also depends very much on the structure/shape of material. The ARB transmission skid, for example, has a box structure that makes it much stiffer than a comparable plate. Or even a plate twice as thick, probably. Also, a big company like ARB, would've performed the proper structural analysis/FEA in the design of their product, or at least I would've expected them to, whereas some of the other skid manufacturers seem like they're just making stuff in their garage, with no engineering involved. :shrug03:
I think if you look at ARB, who's been selling skids forever had 'good' products, and then came the rock crawling crowd, who simply needed something 'gooder!', yep, I said gooder, hence comanies who produce bumpers and such to engineer and build something a little more overkill than the competitor, plus most are made here and we still have folks who like to support the little guy in this country. RCI is 70 miles from here, so I install a lot of theirs on customer rigs but I also drive down and pick them up to save shipping costs. :shrug03: Thoughts?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Lol that's very true, good skills always beat over built gear. My line picking is definitely not good enough and my skids are pretty bashed 😄

As to the thickness vs strength, the difference is not trivial. For a quick simplified look, in bending, stiffness is proportional to thickness cubed. So for 0.1875" vs 0.125", stiffness is (0.1875/0.125)^3=3.375 times. For 0.25" vs 0.125", it would be 8 times as stiff.
True (except these are actually .136 -.140, not .125), but stiffness also depends very much on the structure/shape of material. The ARB transmission skid, for example, has a box structure that makes it much stiffer than a comparable plate. Or even a plate twice as thick, probably. Also, a big company like ARB, would've performed the proper structural analysis/FEA in the design of their product, or at least I would've expected them to, whereas some of the other skid manufacturers seem like they're just making stuff in their garage, with no engineering involved.
Good thoughts man👍

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
G'Day,
Early ARB skids were junk, poorly designed and bent and failed ..when they looked at a rock.... many warranty claims for those who purchased V1 ... V2 not much better..still weak by design....
V3 improved a fair bit, but by then DU at least ... other options became available that are just betterer ... yes betterer ... hahahhaa

Just my 2cents worth....

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think if you look at ARB, who's been selling skids forever had 'good' products, and then came the rock crawling crowd, who simply needed something 'gooder!', yep, I said gooder, hence comanies who produce bumpers and such to engineer and build something a little more overkill than the competitor, plus most are made here and we still have folks who like to support the little guy in this country. RCI is 70 miles from here, so I install a lot of theirs on customer rigs but I also drive down and pick them up to save shipping costs. :shrug03: Thoughts?
My thoughts, in general, are that overkill is a poor substitute for proper engineering, but better than nothing. As far as supporting the little guy – as long as the product is competitive, I'm all for it.
Also, I don't mean to steer people towards buying the ARBs, I was just giving feedback from my personal experience because the OP asked.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
I have one of the first RCI FJ front skids with access door, abused it plenty. Jason has listened to concerns and adjusted the design, refining the product.

A local small business that listens to users and betters his products is an awesome thing!

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you have aftermarket skids, specifically the ARB skids, how do you jack up your vehicle? Can you do it with the skid on?

I have the stock skids on my FJ (well at this point just one of them, the front one is MIA). I'm lazy and don't remove the skid to jack up the front end. I jut put my jack under it at the rear front crossmember and lift it up. The skid is bent in because of it but it's an easy spot to jack both wheels off the ground at the same time and I don't have to deal with removing the skid. I guess I could remove the skid when needed but it's nice not to have to deal with doing it LOL.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you have aftermarket skids, specifically the ARB skids, how do you jack up your vehicle? Can you do it with the skid on?

I have the stock skids on my FJ (well at this point just one of them, the front one is MIA). I'm lazy and don't remove the skid to jack up the front end. I jut put my jack under it at the rear front crossmember and lift it up. The skid is bent in because of it but it's an easy spot to jack both wheels off the ground at the same time and I don't have to deal with removing the skid. I guess I could remove the skid when needed but it's nice not to have to deal with doing it LOL.
I just use the factory lifting points per the manual, which are on the sides, behind the front wheels. Haven't tried lifting by the skid.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

21 - 29 of 29 Posts