Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on a search for an FJ and have been combing the internet till my eyes cross and then do it again. In my search, I have tried hard to avoid northern vehicles where salt/rust may be an issue that's not to say a coastal area wouldn't. I'm not so worried about miles since these are tough Toyota engines. I did learn that there was and engine modification in 2010 (4v/cyl and regular gas), that said, should I concentrate my efforts only on the 2010-14? Any noticeable real world negative in owning a pre-2010 model? Do you think there is more value in owning the older models vs the lower mileage, albiet more expensive newer model?

Also found a 2013 TT w/ 72K for $30K - Good deal?

·
Registered
206 Posts
My 08 has plenty of power, I’d pay more attention to lack of things like back up cams, but I’m a noob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
If you intend to go off road with any seriousness, you may want the more robust 8.2 inch rear diff in the 2010+... but it is not mandatory, plenty of 07-09s have been wheeled. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was in the same boat trying to make that decision. It really is a 10k+ decision.

With that said, for what I want to do with it, I decided on a super clean 07 with low mileage. They're out there, but you do have to get a little lucky. I still can't believe I found an 07 with 68k miles that doesn't look like it was wheeled 2 miles from my house at a dealership. Granted they had it over priced and I negotiated down to $16,750, but I feel like it was a better financial decision than spending 30k+ on a newer model.

It'll run another 200k easy. I don't need a serious rock crawler. I need a vehicle to get me in and out of the back country and deal with snowy mountain roads and rocky desert terrain. This should do the trick.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
My 07 now at 167k is a superb hardcore rockcrawler and in-town limo :rocker: Favorite all-time vehicle...07s rock!
Lol, to be fair, Deb, your 07 isn't exactly stock... nor is your rear diff. :smile

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I was in the same boat trying to make that decision. It really is a 10k+ decision.

With that said, for what I want to do with it, I decided on a super clean 07 with low mileage. They're out there, but you do have to get a little lucky. I still can't believe I found an 07 with 68k miles that doesn't look like it was wheeled 2 miles from my house at a dealership. Granted they had it over priced and I negotiated down to $16,750, but I feel like it was a better financial decision than spending 30k+ on a newer model.

It'll run another 200k easy. I don't need a serious rock crawler. I need a vehicle to get me in and out of the back country and deal with snowy mountain roads and rocky desert terrain. This should do the trick.
Dang, are prices that high now? I bought my 2010 four and a half years ago, in pristine condition with 50k miles, for $24k. I knew when they announced the end of sales in the US in 2014 they would become coveted; glad I got in when I did...

Having said that, I think you'll do fine for your intended use.

·
トヨタ Master
6,397 Posts
'07 low miles, meticulously maintained, rode hard and hung up wet at times, 35s, heavily accessorized (meaning, accessories weigh a ton!), no problems what so ever.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Dang, are prices that high now? I bought my 2010 four and a half years ago, in pristine condition with 50k miles, for $24k. I knew when they announced the end of sales in the US in 2014 they would become coveted; glad I got in when I did...

Having said that, I think you'll do fine for your intended use.
Go look on autotrader, carmax, cargurus, etc.

You won't find one cheaper than what I got with the miles, its ****ing wild to say the least. I understand I "overpaid" compared to what a lot of people bought their rigs for, but I can also put another 100k on it and sell it for not much less than I paid.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Go look on autotrader, carmax, cargurus, etc.

You won't find one cheaper than what I got with the miles, its ****ing wild to say the least. I understand I "overpaid" compared to what a lot of people bought their rigs for, but I can also put another 100k on it and sell it for not much less than I paid.
For sure. Wasn't criticizing, just an observation. :smile Have fun with your new FJ!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I gotcha. Its a pretty crazy market, especially in the PNW. And especially if you try to find something that wasn't driven in rust belt areas - mine came from OK to ID. Its crazy, I see quite a few on the roads, especially heading up into the mountains, but there are barely any for sale, and the ones that are have been driven HARD.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Yeah I'm sure the low miles more pristine ones are getting rarer and rarer. Of course you could have bought that TTUE in Oregon with under 7k miles for $48K!

Mine came from AZ, after 5 years it still had grease pencil markings on the frame. I've been hitting it with Fluid Film every year, desperately trying to keep it from rusting here in the salt. Doing pretty good so far... they don't use salt in Idaho?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah I'm sure the low miles more pristine ones are getting rarer and rarer. Of course you could have bought that TTUE in Oregon with under 7k miles for $48K!

Mine came from AZ, after 5 years it still had grease pencil markings on the frame. I've been hitting it with Fluid Film every year, desperately trying to keep it from rusting here in the salt. Doing pretty good so far... they don't use salt in Idaho?
ID does use salt but its not near as bad as say the North East. Luckily it lived the majority of its life in OK where salting is pretty mild. I plan on hitting it with some sort of protection before this winter.

But yeah, thats the spot I was in. Most everything else around me was priced absurdly like that or super high mileage. Mine was manufactured after the locking diff problems(checked VIN before buying) and has no fender bulging.

The price difference didn't make sense to me, but if you're a hardcore off roader rock crawler I get it. It may make sense to some

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
I bought an 08 TTSE with 168,*** miles as a salvage for $5,000. Runs like a champion, when I clear up my mistakes, and I have put 10,000 more miles on it since I bought it in 5/18. I think the older ones, costing less, provide more value than the newer ones that have been pristine mall crawlers. And I don't have to be afraid to take it anywhere, like places where branches provide pin striping, to rocks provide dents. Mine is a daily driver as well as an adventure/overlanding platform. And since I paid so little for it, my wife lets me spend more money on modifications.

Regardless, I hope you find one of whatever year and get the great experience of owning one of these treasures. I haven't had this much fn with a vehicle since my '42 Ford Jeep.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts