Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. Gotta question. On my 07 fj, ever since I purchased a year ago you can hear slight noise coming from rear differential. My mechanics store says it's the Pinion bearing. I was wanting to drain gear oil and replace w Royal Purple synthetic oil. The mechanic says doing that could actually cause it to fail sooner. I don't see how it could do anything worse to it, if not actually be good for it. I'm not going to touch it untill I hear from you all. Thanks a bunch.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
First, Changing the gear lube in the rear diff won't 'hurt' it as long as you use the correct product. Second, I've had a gear whine that is sometimes very noticeable on my '07 since day one. The service mgr. said it was normal, I disagreed but's it's now got 157K and it's actually gotten a better over time. Either that or my hearing has gotten worse. I've dumped the diff lube twice and the only difference I noticed is that it rolls better downhill when it's really cold outside, as in less resistance. No difference in the noise. But I'm convinced now it's not a problem.

Change away with no fear but don't expect too much.

DEWFPO

1 - 2 of 2 Posts