Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, need a little help, been on the webs all day & just NOT a lot of info for FJs on Dobinsons. BTW, I'm on a budget so looking at the twin tubes shocks.
My FJ is 10 years old with 90k, shocks seen better days, plus I'm tired of nose diving at red lights. That's it though, the ride is plush, definitely not a sporty ride. I don't want hard either, I had bad luck with OME on my Hilux but that's another story.
I am sitting on a 1.5" rake right now which is kinda ugly, I prefer a .75" to 1" rake forward.
Dobinsons has 2" springs for the front and 1.75" for the back. That would yield about a 1.25" rake in a perfect world. I'm also more likely to put stuff in the back than the front so it should maybe pan out. They have 1" rears which may be the real ticket, putting me at about 21.5" center cap to fender in front & 22" in the back. Seems like cutting it close though on a possible negative take.
Whatta you guys know about these twin tubes they're mating up to these springs?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Search for reviews on 4runner and GX470. Both are 120 platform and share with the FJ. The difference is weight though since the other two are heavier.

Looks like it clarifies some parts info.

Rear spring: 1.75" spring/1.25" rake is better with consideration for more weight (maybe an additional 100-150 lbs). If there's no plans for a heavy load, the 1" might work out better with the addition of a 10mm trim spacer on the driverside to get you in a sweet spot. I run about 1" rake myself but I think. .6-.75" looks better.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Curious OP if you decided to go with Dobinsons, and if so what options you went with and what your experience has been. Was at a local shop today and the owner was really talking up a recent experience he had installing a Dobinson lift on another customer's land cruiser. He strongly recommended the brand, but searching around now I have been a bit underwhelmed with what I've been reading.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts