Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm new here. About time I finally joined. I just wanted some advice from other FJ owners out there. I have a 2007 FJ with 218k miles. I bought it with 140k on the clock and have loved it since I've had it (about three years now). With its high mileage, lately I have been reconsidering whether I should modify and keep the vehicle for very long. My significant other and I love going camping and light overland-type trips on the weekends. We go on 4x4 trails, but nothing too crazy usually. I'm just debating whether the vehicle has adequate life left and would be worth modding or not. I haven't really touched the rig in terms of modification. I have been wanting a roof rack upgrade and heavy duty bumper with a winch etc. I have also looked into building a drawer system for the back. I'd like to know if going all out with mods at this point is foolish, or not. Part of me thinks saving up for a newer 4runner, would be a smarter option, as reliability in the middle of nowhere is one of my primary concerns. Basically my question is: is the FJ reliable enough for many more years of service off-roading on the weekends? I'd like to know others thoughts on this. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Close to where you're at. Ive had mine at about 110k miles and I'm at about 190k miles now. I think if you're prepared and perform the necessary maintenance for a vehicle at 200k, you'll be good for 300k easily. In the same respect, if you don't upkeep the new 4runner and rely on that it's new, you may run into problems as well. Ie. I met a new owner of a 5th gen 4runner at Summit and he had and issue with a transmission leaking. It was warrantied and continued to leak on the trails as well after the dealership. He had to take it easy because he was worried about further exacerbating the issue.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Seconding sir Poop, a lot of it has to do with how well the vehicle was maintained. Not just you but the previous owners as well. Do you have any idea?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Another question is if you plan to grow your family? If your into light off-roading, the 4runner will get you anywhere you need to go and more, with more comforts for daily driving.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Welcome
Tough question. I would recommend if it’s an AT just swap it for a new/newer 4Runner. Same reliability so would last longer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey all. Sorry I forgot to mention the condition of the car. When I bought it, looked like it had never been off road. Very clean paint and undercarriage. Unfortunately, I didn't have any of the maintenance records. But it was a one owner car from AZ (no rust). It had a few maintenance items to take care of like shocks and a serpentine belt. I am meticulous about changing the fluids, oil etc. The only major repairs I've had were recent. They included new bearings in the rear diff and a new (used) transfer case. Both of those were pricey, but needed. Also, forgot to mention that I really don't want another car payment at this time. Just hoping I can get the rig to 300k miles or more before moving on to a 4runner.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts
It's a Toyota- keep on top of maintenance/what it needs, if when the odd thing rears it's ugly head take care of it before the next trip (no "it'll be ok for this next weekend") and it will go to 300k and well past easily. Just remember- it does have some mileage on it so there will be the odd bit to look after (as you've already found out), but you're not making new car payments and you're driving a way more fun vehicle! I bought my first Toyota truck in Nov. '85, did a '94 4Runner in '98 (needed a back seat for our first kid) and got rid of it for the FJ ('08, Sandstorm?) last year and this is the most fun 1 yet. Al

·
Registered
206 Posts
I sold my 07 FJ 6MT with 90k miles last year (sadly and begrudgingly) to purchase an 08 limited 4runner with similar miles. Right now, you might even make some money on the exchange.

I love my 4runner, and have already got sliders,bud built winch mount, etc mounted too it. The wife and kids are happier.

Your FJ will certainly make it to 300k if you change the oil according to recommendations. Just need to decide if you are going to be happy with it for that time period. I thought I’d keep my Fj forever, but it’s funny or fast things can change. One nice thing is that I was able to swap my 17” FJ wheels onto my 4runner along with my full icon coil overs, so I didn’t lose out so much. That was the main reason I went with a 4th gen.
I still have no car payment, which I agree is very important!

·
Registered
08 FJ, 3" lift, homemade t-case shift handle
356 Posts
As stated before. Keep up on your maintenance and the odd repair as needed and you will be fine. Newer lower milage vehicles break down too.
In my humble opinion it boils down to you know what you have and do you trust it or not?

·
Registered
2007 FJ Cruiser 4WD Titanium Metallic
211 Posts
If you’ve drove the FJ for almost 80k miles and taken care of it I wouldn’t worry about the reliability.

Not saying you shouldn’t go with a 4Runner, just saying I wouldn’t reliability concerns be a determining factor.

Everyone I’ve spoke to here knows I’m definitely not a mechanic so anyone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong I’m saying that.

Reactions: 4x4 Junkie

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sounds like you’re in love in which case keep her!!! Don’t let her go. Take care of her and she’ll take care of you ! Mines has 135k on the dash and she drives fine! Shudders a little on uphill idky but she’s reliable !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts